Neoprene socks

fu_man

• Baller
Has anyone tried skiing with neoprene socks? Wondering what kind and how well they fit into binders etc. I use a radar vector boot which I keep loose enough to pop my foot out pretty easily. I use a RTP on the back. I'm more concerned about the RTP fit to be honest. Most of the socks that I have seen online look a bit too thick, like booties instead of socks. Is this worth it or should I stick to a cooler full of hot water?!?

I have used them. But I only go with the back foot on the rtp. For me the front binding seems to keep my foot warm enough. They work pretty well especially if you use the other dry one on your second set. I got mine at REI they were called seal skin socks I think. They aren't to thick and they work well. Eventually they get water in them, but your foot still stays warm.

I use them but I have Strada's. I think I have 1.5mm ones but they make thicker. I feel like they help a bit in the cooler water, but kind of wonder if 2mm or 2.5 wouldn't have been a little better. A side benefit is that they help a lot in terms of putting my wetsuit or drysuit ankle seals on. Your feet still get wet with the neo ones though so if it's that cold you might want the hot water anyway depending on temps. For colder water I have a pair of latex socks but might consider wearing the neoprene ones with them for extra warmth.

I have the NeoSport ones you can find on amazon.

I use Rooster Hot Socks on my back foot with an RTP, warm enough for double sets in January, water temp around high thirties. The socks have a titanium layer between the outer neoprene and the inner lining. These socks are only 0.5mm thick so no need for a bigger rear kicker. I don't know if these socks are available in the US, if there're not it'd be worth paying the shipping from Europe. http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=1&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RWSHT

EDIT..... Just noticed on the website there's a link to a US site..

• Baller_

I bought these neoprene socks last year for cold water skiing, only tried them once or twice. At the time I had a D3 Leverage Blackout front and D3 Contour RTP. I now have T-Factor front, but still rubber.

I only wore the sock on my back foot (front foot stays somewhat warm in the boot, and I'm aware of the danger of not being able to release from a rubber boot wearing a neoprene sock)... but I could not get my back foot far enough into my RTP - the sock just bunched up and stuck really bad. Now, I admit the sock was a little too big once it got wet, but it felt like the materials really stuck to each other regardless.

My ideas for an alternative:

1. Putting aside the setting that these are probably usually used for :D , would something like these latex socks be any better for fitting into a RTP? Not very warm but would help keep water/wind off the foot.

2. What about these supposedly "frictionless" neoprene socks?

3. What about Sealskinz waterproof socks? Probably not as warm as neoprene, but maybe better for slipping in a boot? (maybe even ok to use in the front as well?)

4. Or do I just need to get a better fitting pair of thinner neoprene socks? I have seen some other threads saying that 0.5mm neo socks can work. I know Camaro has a 0.5mm and a 1mm, or NRS HyrdoSkin 0.5mm.

• Baller
I just started using a latex swim sock by Speedo, for my rear Wiley binding. It has made a huge difference, and is thin enough for me to be confident that I could still exit the binding if necessary with a front hardshell release. I found them on Amazon (just search Speedo latex swim sock). Super inexpensive as well (like $10).

• Baller
I get very cold feet and have had great luck with 1.5mm neoprene socks in my Vapor boots. Keeps them warm enough to get 6 passes in right up until the lake starts to freeze and there is enough adjustment in the boots that they still fit/feel/release fine :)

• Baller

I use 2mm and 3mm.

Ski when there still is some ice left.

Radar Vector, Profile and Pulse and in Reflex with Intuition liners.

Do not tighy bindings so hard.

Release better than bare feets.

Ok no record skiing but nice for early spring training

• Baller

@SlalomSteve As you probably know, I looked into several neoprene sock brands / types recently. (I even bought some NRS Boundary socks that I'm eager to try out with my drysuit, but admittedly I'm concerned about them being too tacky to release properly from a rubber boot)

One big distinction I found is whether or not socks are fully waterproof, or if water permeates like it does thru wetsuit material. (customer reviews are helpful) If the goal is to pair the socks up with a drysuit, you need truly dry socks. The cuff of the drysuit goes over the sock, so if water is coming thru the sock, it will go right into the drysuit. If pairing it up with a wetsuit, it doesn't matter.

Regardless, this is beginning to seem like more trouble than it's worth, so I'm buying into the "cooler of warm water" theory instead. Or just tough it out and have cold toes! Small price to pay for getting to ski.