Nick Parsons Amazing 39 and 41 Off Crash

Horton

• Baller_
The ski makes a funky move right off centerline of wakes. Maybe before. Sort of porpoising then seems to drive into the water off second wake (porpoising on the down) almost getting sideways right before release. I think it released perfectly. Hate to think what would have happened if the ski stayed on.

• Baller

Wow! His weight is definitely forward, but his ski reacted very strangely coming off the second wake. The water is usually breaking under his front foot at that point, but that time, it almost looked like the ski flexed in a weird way. Just bizarre. Hope he knows a good chiropracter.

• Baller
It looks to me like his shoulders were definitely in front of his feet going into the wakes at 41. Not by much but my guess (I have never skied 38 never mind 41) is that you don't need to be out of position by much at 41 to get in deep trouble.

• Baller

My buddies wife fell like that when I was in the boat once and it scared the hell out of me. Didn't see it coming, buries tip and yard sales just like that...I don't get too shook up but I thought she was knocked out or stretcher bound. Same reaction as above as worst crash I had ever seen. Trouble is she is dangerously close to this frequently and the bell ringers have her questioning whether she should continue to ski.

I told him to join BOS and post video so we could all try to fix her technique. Going to 2,4,6 she comes off wake and the tip goes down looking a little dangerous even when she doesn't bury it. I only got to see the one set where she took the beating and it came on an early pass so didn't get much chance to analyze.

• Administrators

Nick told me that he thinks he was a little forward and there is a soft foamy bit in the wake at 41. I guess he was at the limit and then got to that soft bit in the wake and BOOM!

When he said that - he had not yet seen the video and I think he was still seeing stars... He had a red mark on his forehead from hitting something.

I do not see how it could be a pre-release. He was putting all the power of the boat DOWN into the ski.

Goode ★ KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I think the nano he is on is too short. even on the 39 pass, on every turn his tip seems so close to dipping. If the ski was 1 or 2 inches longer, would it a) have prevented it from dipping and b) have changed the dynamics of the ski or how he is skiing?

I agree with the other posts in that this is the worst crash I have ever seen. I hope he is okay!!

• Baller
@Horton, no I didn't, but I do know that Nick is about as incredible of skier as I have ever seen, and I also know that his ski seems a tad short. Some of the best designs need tweaking. Is he on the 66 or the 65? I think Nick is over 6 feet and if he is on the 65, how much would it affect his skiing to jump to the 66? Just a thought is all.

• Baller
If you get to the slo mo part and double click real fast to stop almost frame by frame it looks really cool! Sorry bout your luck Nick! It's like watchin nascar for the wrecks! You should get Nick a freeze frame of himself right where his head is going in the water--hopefully once in a lifetime picture!

• Baller

@douglaslbrady I was thinking the same thing. Just doesn't make sense that Nick and Regina are on the same size ski.

It looks to me like he gets a bet forward causing a little lean lock which results in him pulling a little longer. Looks like he going to recover but the rear of the ski gets lifted when he come out of the trough between the 2nd wake and the white water. In the 39 pass he make his transition at the center of the wake and get ski out in front of him by the white water.

• Baller
@ShaneH, maybe this crash will give them some concern. If the ski was perfect, there would be no need for R&D. I think the Nano is an incredible ski, but if you look at the video, look how close he is to dipping on every ball. A crash like this could easily be a career ender. The question I would love to ask is if he would have been on the same ski --one inch longer--would he have dipped?

• Baller_
I've yet to see a video of a super shortline skier not use every bit of the ski to get it done. I'm not a super shortline skier but at 38 I am shocked how much of my ski is in the water in the turn from a still photo. Does not feel like that at all. My boots do not release (been that way since 2001) Two summers ago I had a similar crash that I did not see coming at all. Difference was the ski stayed on and had more forward momentum then me so as my head hit the ski drilled me into the water without the flip. Top half of my body stopped in the water. The lower half now above me continued forward. Off the water for a month till the back healed. I've never groaned so loud in pain in my life.

@shane I don't understand what you are saying about nate. If he is almost burying his tip on a 67 wouldn't he be even more inclined to bury it even more on a shorter ski, given his frame to ski ratio has changed and he could apply even more mechanical advantage on the front a shorter ski?

That is what I thought.

"If Nick or Dave Goode had any concern that he was on the wrong size ski, he would be on the larger one. The window of error gets real small at 41 off. "

that earlier comment threw me. Sounded like both posts we going different directions.

thanks for clarifying

• Baller

@jipster43 That is not what I'm saying at all. What I said was that Nate, on a huge ski for his size, is pushing the tip in too. ALL of the elite open skiers apply as much tip pressure as they have ski for the most part. You cannot say the ski is too small because of the effects of the tip pressure in the turn.

Haha thanks for the support @Than_Bogan! Apparently its not my place to share...Suppose I must respect that. In other news, I'll be attempting the switch to a RTP soon (been in double boots since I was 7 years old) and I'm sure there will be some sort of entertainment value out of that video. :)

Ya'll are way to fixated on the length of skis today. As the surface areas have increased and the tip shapes have been blunted this kinda throws out the length standards we all grew up with. The Goode Mid's and Wide Rides are a testament of that. Look at the surface area of the A-2 and S-2 in the same length, and more importantly, where the additional width is placed.

• Baller
@krista I switched to a reflex front and rtp 2 weeks ago. People were arguing over who got to ride in the boat for my first ride. LOL. There was at least one amazing, but bone jarring crash since then. But I like it. Way different. Ski moves out off the 2nd wake so much better.

• Baller

Go toe-loopers! D3 Leverage and Leverage RTP for me.

Agree Krista was just doing as asked by Nick, though not sure why anyone would care if some ski footage of them was on the net. The first time I run a kick ass 39 off and crash at 41 I'll be sure the entire world sees it.

• Baller

Hypothesis as to why this video was removed:

To avoid bad press and misinformation. Almost immediately in this thread, people are mentioning the binding may have pre-released, or the ski may be too short, etc etc.

I think it would be easy for these type comments to lead to lots of speculation and rumors about Goode's equipment.

If I was Dave Goode, I probably would have wanted it removed too. In my opinion, the crash had nothing to do with equipment. But with the nature of this site, it very quickly could turn into an unfounded Goode bashing session.

• Baller
@webdawg99. Too late. Removing it has probably already caused suspicion. I would rather have mr Goode come on and have a discussion about it. Isn't that what this site is for, to discuss all aspects of skiing and equipment? I think the entire situation was handled the wrong way. I may not be a good skier but I am damn good in business and pr for my company and if my product was being questioned or talked about I would be in the forefront of the discussion either defending or taking notes on how to improve my product.