Suggestions on new ski - free skiing 30-32 mph

XR6Hurricane

• Baller

Thinking of getting a new ski for next season. I free ski 30-32 mph at -15. Sometimes will do -22. I'm 5'9, 125 lbs. Never been on a course, don't really have the opportunity to get on a course, don't have a lot of interest in the course but might try one for kicks sometime. Looking to stay under $500 and want something that will last for a good 10 years anyway. The ones I'm thinking of are the H.O. Triumph, Radar Theory (or maybe a Senate??). I've been on a 65" Connelly Concept for 14 seasons and have always liked the big sweet spot and the forgiveness. I always know what the ski is and isn't going to do. The spray is kind of crappy but I like everything else about it. I know the spray doesn't matter but it does on the river on Sunday morning. There's nothing wrong with it for my purposes but I'm curious about the newer stuff.

With my light weight I'm not sure if any of the shaped skis would be too wide for me to really dig in and throw a good wall, but I've never tried one. Also, want opinions on bindings as it looks like things have changed a great deal in that department too. Would probably get double boots this time but might just tick with a RTP. I want something that is easy to put on in the water and DON'T want anything that is dangerous in a fall because the extra performance isn't worth the risk to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• Baller

I had a concept, and really like my current Nomad - Many of the older D3 skis are pretty good values!

I would actually strongly suggest

http://www.d3skis.com/product-p/x7-fts-w-z7st-graph-(2011).htm

Essentially D3's Blemish skis, you dont' get the warranty, but it is a great value, and available at 65"

Also, I have been very impressed with durability in Connelly and D3 over the years.

• Baller
I know of some really good skiers who couldn't ski worth a damn on a Phantom Truth when that was supposed to be "the ski", much less an intermediate skier. IMO several of the suggestions above are good ones but personally I'd suggest you stay away from an upper level ski, especially an older one no one really liked much anyway. They only made it a couple of years for a reason. My 2 cents.

• Baller
Thanks for the feedback guys. Now let me ask the question in a different way. You can still buy a new Concept so obviously it has stood the test of time. Everyone keeps saying how awesome the new stuff is, but what is it about the newer skis that would set them apart for the type of skiing I'm doing?

• Baller
IMO the "awsome new stuff" is designed to be more user friendly, easier to perform on despite less than perfect execution. Execute perfectly and they absolutely rock, but if you're not always perfect they won't punish you as much as the older design top-line skis would. Most of it is aimed at high level skiers but even the late model wide ride type skis and mid level mid-ride skis (I'm referring to i.e. a Senate here) perform as well as if not better than the older top line skis (CDX, Concept, etc etc) while being easier to ride. The newer stuff is just too much improved from a skiers ease-of-use viewpoint to stay with a 20 year old design like the Concept. Again just my 2 cents worth.

• Baller
In a nutshell Old style skis were hook, stop, and go. Worked with PP but not ZO. New skis are designed to keep moving. Lower highs and higher lows while being more tolerant. I think if you could find an old "new" Concept and compare it side by side with the modern Concept skiing wise you would find that they are completely different animals due to materials, layup and weight. Obrien had a "Siege" cheap variation of the original Sixam 1.0. Looked alike but skied way different. Modern CDX vs. Original same thing.

• Baller

In the Radar world (which is what I'm leaning toward), would the Senate or the Theory make more sense for me? I don't want to buy a ski that's either beyond or below my ability. It also looks like neither one is available in a 65". I'm kind of on the border of 65"/67" by the book though, so I guess that would be OK. Also, I see they have foam cores. Will that still last, or does the foam break down? Is it like a Klegecell material or what?

thager - when you say "lower highs", will they still accelerate as hard?

• Baller

If you go Radar - the Theory IMO is a 30 mph and under ski. I've taken mine into 38 off a couple of times at 30, so it's definitely course worthy. At 32 it started getting a little scary to me, the one time I tried it at 34 I nearly broke my freaking neck on it. Too wide for that speed, launched off the wake, pretty scary crash.

For 32 and 34 mph I'd say the Senate would make more sense. So IF you intend to up the speeds and shorten the line eventually, or if you intend to try course skiing at some point (why wouldn't you??) you may be better served with a Senate. If not you're really gonna like the Theory (or Frank's low mileage Triumph above would also be an excellent choice). Try them and decide which you like better for the type of skiing you are and intend to be doing. They're both great skis, just depends on the type of skiing you want to do now and into the future.

Again, there are plenty of both available on Ski-It-Again as well as end of season leftover deals at several of the major waterski retailers (H2Osmosis etc). One of my regular ski buds bought a leftover 2011 Theory last fall for $185 blank and brand new unused. They're out there.

• Baller

Skiing the course would be fun to try, but skiing for 30 seconds at a time isn't really where my heart is. I'd like to try it for kicks but public ones are scarce around here. My idea of a slalom run is 4-5 minutes long and 20-30 cuts. The river 10 minutes from my door is 15 miles of paradise if you get out there any time before 10:00.

Your comment about the Theory being too wide for the higher speeds and launching you off the wake was something else I had wondered about, particularly with the Triumph. Will have to demo these skis and see before buying.

Would the Senate struggle at 30 mph? The Concept skis fairly well at that speed but it struggles a bit, particularly on glass. 31 is where it really starts to feel like it's running on all cylinders, especially if there is a very light wind ripple to help.

@xrxhurricane I never really had any trouble with jumping the wake with my triumph. I have skied with this ski from 28 to 34 mph both in and out of a course and I think is a great ski for free skiing because its not too tiring to ski on and deep water starts are easy is you are going to teach anyone. That being said, it can still put down in the course if you want. This was one of my favorite skis I have been on. very fun

I think you should go with the senate, with your weight being so low. The senate is the same as the theory its just a little more narrow. I have a theory and a senate (and a strada), and if I was you I would take the senate over the theory. Just like Ed said, the theory is a little wide for 34mph. I would also stick to the senate and avoid the senate-C. If your just free skiing in open water, the normal senate will be the more forgiving ski for the open water conditions, and it's cheaper.

• Baller

I've got four new 66" Sixam 2.0 skis still in the box. These are 2008 model (blue top) for $275.00 blank w/fin. Great ski for the money and in my opinion (yes, I'm biased) it's a better ski for many skiers at any price. This year I tried several of the latest and greatest skis and ended up more consistent on one of these '08 Sixams.

Also, I have a couple '08 64" Sixams available too. This is a great ski for kids learning the course or lighter weight skiers. My 9 year old 83 lb daughter killed it this year on one (hers is an '07 silver top). She went from a tournament pb of 3 at 28.6 mph to 3 @ 22 off.