What do you look at as you pull out for the gate?

Razorskier1

• Administrators

I have no freak'n idea where the boat is at any time. I guess it is at the end of the rope. I mean that is where it was last time I looked at it. The only ball I ever look at is the next one I need to get around.

Seriously, I do not relate to 99% of this thread because I do a super late one handed gate. I am not sure I would recommend my gate but it works for me - It took years to work it out.

I do want to caution readers from taking a ref point and thinking it is gospel. These ref points work for the guys that are recommending them but what they say they see and how you think you see it may not be exactly the same.

For my money the hardest part of any gate technique is gauging the intensity as well as the duration of the pull out. Using ref points makes sense for the duration but that assumes your intensity is consistent and correct.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton -- totally agree that you have to do what works for you. That's why I keep saying "this is what works for me". Like you, I've tried every approach to the gate you could imagine over the course of the years. This is the first one that feels like I can replicate it every pass. That is the first reason I like it. The second is that it consistently sets up the best one ball position for me and a great cadence for the rest of the course. Your gate does the same thing for you. I can't go as late or aggressively as you do because I will place too much load and angle on the line and the pass turns into a yank-fest!

• Administrators

@Razorskier1 I think the ski you ride as a lot to do with your intensity also. On the N1 I get to throw caution to the wind but on a S2 or a Razor I would for sure need to dial it back.

The tip I got this spring that really changed my skiing was to carry as much speed as I could into the gate turn in. It took me a while to get my head around it but the more speed I have at turn in the less I need to generate back to the gate. Less load means more control.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Ok, I know that for me, a good out, up & in is everything, in making a successful full pass, but I have seen very good skiers use different styles. (Like every other sport). Some skiers pull out later, shallower & quicker and carry great speed though ball 1, and other skiers make a longer, more progressive, wider out, and still carrie good speed around 1. I get in the habit of pulling out too early, and then tell myself to try later next time. It kind of is a problem for me.

• Baller
Answering the original question, I look at the pre gates and the boat, then look at the 246 buoys. I pull out as the boat hits the pre gates, or sooner if tailwind. At 28 and 32, I am outside the skier balls. I do adjust a little on pullout for head and tails, but I am two handed and rff, so can apply a little left arm pressure to maintain width or hammer it if I have too much speed - which is not desirable, but can make work at longer lengths.