If you had to choose

SocalWaterSki

If you were able to pick the best place to ski, year round, where would it be and why?

Let me explain why I'm asking this question.

With my job, I have the opportunity to choose where I work. Granted there are some restrictions, I can't just live out in the sticks with no major airport around. It's gotta be close to a good size airport....

I'm looking to move out of Southern California, not that it's a bad place to live, just looking for something different.

Currently on the table...

Sacramento - Great facility up there for me. 2 hours to tahoe for my "off season" activities. Folsom lake for the family and family to come. Sac river and a bunch of other ski places. Know of any ski lakes to live on?

Dallas - Incredible Facility for me.. No wintertime activities close by so that's a downer. Able to live on a lake and have a "reasonable commute" to work. That's a big plus. Snakes in the water... downer.

Daytona - Good Facility. Lots of water accessible. Live on a body of water.... probably salty... damn.

So now that I have those on the table... I'm looking to add more. Where in the US would you move to be able to maximize your skiing, has a reasonable cost of living, and decent weather year round?

• Baller

Do you have $5.95mil?? There's a private listing in Sebastopol, CA with it's own ski lake and you can't beat Sonoma County weather. Besides, that would give me access to a course (you would let a fellow BOS'er come ski with you, wouldn't you?!).

@SocalWaterSki I'll vote for DFW. There are ample locations to ski in the area and you'll be welcomed no matter what site you choose. There are strong skiers in every event in the area and if tournaments are your thing there is generally something near the DFW area amost every weekend. While it's nice to get to other sites it's also nice that you don't have to drive half way across the state just for a round or two of slalom.

I'm somewhat of a road warrior as well and the DFW airport is as good as it gets if you live in the area (renting a car is somewhat of another story). It's convenient regardless if you are being dropped off or if you're parking. No other major airport I've seen has a TSA checkpoint within 5-6 gates of your departure AND have terminal parking within 100 yards. Also, DFW is near the center of the country so getting somewhere direct AND fast is pretty simple.

For winter activities you can always drive to NM or a short flight to CO, UT or similar. American Airlines even flies direct to Vail or Aspen in the winter months so if you're racking up the FF miles, use those to see some snow rather than live in it. Besides you can likely waterski almost all winter anyway!

The 'personality' of the Dallas area is enough different from Fort Worth that there's always something to do depending on your mood. Addison, Plano. McKinney, Los Colinas are all large enough areas to support a lot of activities on their own so always something diverse happening and a shortish drive away. Home prices never spiked in the area in the mid-2000's and never crashed later. Relatively speaking, housing is still an excellent value in the DFW area and in Texas in general. No state income tax, cheap gas relative to most everywhere else, low unemployment and lots of major corporations makes North Texas a pretty attractive place to live.

I wouldn't worry about the snakes...only seen a handful in the dozen or so years I've skied here. Most of the sites in the area see enough traffic that they are pretty shy anyway. You're probably more likely to see an armadillo!

• Baller
I put about 250k mqm's in per year and I travel all over the country. If I had the flexibility, I would go to either Dallas or Nashville. The weather rocks in either place and there are tons of places to ski in both. There are also ample other activities in either place. If I had to pick one, it would be Dallas. Florida is awesome but the alligators scare the hell out of me! I do have to give a shout out to Utah. We ski 9 to 10 months out of the year and if u like to snow ski, it can't be beat. The ski clubs in Utah are pretty amazing I must say.

• Baller
If Utah is getting a plug then Colorado rocks too! 20+ private lakes including 1 in Steamboat, 1 in Vail, 1 near Aspen and 1 within an hour of Telluride. Denver area lakes have 60+ degree water April and October with water temps ranging from the low 70s to the high 80s May through September. You can, if you must, drysuit it early March, November and early December. Sunshine pretty much every day, no humidity, temps rarely over 100, etc. etc. It's world class skiing both on the snow or in the water. I must disclose that, as a Coloradoan, there is an unspoken oath to not suggest more people move here. :)

• Baller
i don't know guys, when i bought my ps 2 months ago, we tested it out on a lake that 5 minutes before we skied, a 5 foot alligator jumped into the water right off the friggin dock. Yes, it is true that i have all my limbs still, but that can't be good for your psyche day in and day out, wondering if today is the day that a gator is going to get you!

Wow, I went out for a few turns and look at what this has become...

@richarddoane - I lived in Alaska for 4 years... decent means no snow on the ground for an extended period of time.

@estrom - a bit out of my price range. However, BOS'ers can always come ski with me.

@Chuck_Dickey - There are lakes in AZ? J/K... wife has declared no AZ for us.

@OB and @SkiJay - I can go to Daytona... maybe Orlando. how's the skiing?

@klindy - That is a great post. Tons of good info! Dallas is way up on my list.

@douglaslbrady - How's nashville? I know nothing of the area. Where are some good ski lakes around there?

@gginco and @ms - too cold. lol

@jipster43 - Boise has too much snow for my liking...

This is incredible, thank you all. I owe you all a tow or two

• Baller
Dallas is a great location. Within 4 hours, you also have tournaments in Austin, San Marcos, Houston, and Shreveport. Essentially, a man could ski in a tournament at a top notch site every single weekend between Memorial Day and Labor day. Plus, we're nice here. I can ski any number of places with people I know in Texas. We'll even include @Jdarwin and @skidawg as honorary texans. Erb's already living here for the most part so even though he's a yankee, he's texan now too.

• Baller_
I ski between Orlando and Daytona. Doesn't get much better then around here. Oh and keep the gator stories coming. Just makes for more water time for those that know they are no threat. Oooops. I meant there are vicious attacks by these dinosaurs and they will eat you any chance they get. The local papers are full of stories of skiers...ah...er...I mean wakeboarders being swallowed whole by these beasts. Stay away...stay away...(especially wakeboarders....and jet skiers) ;)

The problem with Idaho or Orlando is their in the corners of the US. It makes just about ANY flight to anywhere miserable. In both cases, you end up having to connect far more often than not. Every time you need to connect takes on average 2 hours longer to get to your destination sometimes much longer. Add the opportunities to miss flights, delays, etc. and the chances of getting inconsistant slalom practice increases exponentially. If your job requires extensive air travel I think that means not only a major aiport but it needs to be a hub airport. With DFW in the middle of the country you can access basically every major city in the US and most smaller cities with an airport within 2-1/2 hours from DFW. With the possible exception of Chicago I don't think that's possible most anywhere else. And there's no comparison between ORD and DFW if that's your destination.

And while the Orlando area may have lots of waterski opportunities, I'd rather go to the dentist than fly in and out of MCO.

No brainer....Dallas/Fort Worth. Several houses available on several premium sites currently in the area too.

I should probably say there is no air travel required. I'm an air traffic controller. I literally need the airport or a tracon (terminal enroute control) nearby. I like dallas because the facility is great, the people are great, and there is apparently quite the ski community.

I have friends in Daytona, facility is good, but not as good as Dallas.

Norcal has a GREAT facility.

I will not be selling my place out here, I have a strange habit of collecting rental houses as I've moved around the country...

• Baller
Central Florida and even further south can't be beat for year round skiing! Otown flies to Utah direct for snowskiing in winter...you can be on the mountain by 1pm same day. Lakes are around every corner, and you don't need to be on an exclusive skiing community for there to be perfect slalom courses on lakes---they're everywhere. There's an overabundance of ski schools/coaches should you get in a slump. And MOST important--UCF IS ON THE WAY UP TO THE TOP BABY!!!! Go Nights!

• Baller
@SoCalWaterSki - I would suggest Chicago. I know, affordability may not be the best, and there is some wind....but Nationals was held there in 2010 and 2011. I'm in central Illinois and there are two ski clubs here (small airport though). There are a few mandmade lakes around here as well. Just a thought.

• Baller
@scotchipman You are correct that wind is a issue. Winds here are usually from the south. My guess is that it is the same in every part of the country in that some sites will have better protection than others. East and West lakes with good tree lines on the south, make the wind a non-issue at our site. North and South lakes can be a hit and miss. We do get some sun issues in the morn and evening at times in one direction. We are able to ski in 30 mph winds from the south without a decrease in performance.

• Baller

...well, that and the Chicago winter!

Suppose your wife was a non-skier who likes cultural opportunities, good restaurants, easy availability of shopping, good health club, warm weather but not a huge fan of humidity. I would need the right cultural atmosphere to sell her on ski lake living...for me doesn't matter...I can be happy just about anywhere.

Keep in mind she does NOT have what she wants now so certain gains may do it...we live in a small MN town on a public lake. No health club, no culture, very basic restaurant choices, winter, hit Walmart or travel for Target. Lots of online purchases.

My job is outstanding, cost of living low, and I get to ski quite a bit in summer...winter sucks. 1 hour to Minneapolis burbs, 1.5 to downtown.

Thoughts from the group? I know, probably pigeon holed this right into "doesn't exist" (at least not for what I may be able to afford).

• Baller
Winter sucks. On the other hand, I have had about the best ski world you could have in MN for the last 15 years. I live on a public lake with no ski time restrictions (sun up to an hour after sunset). We have a course. I have some work flexibility, so in the summer I ski before work, come in later and work later. Weather permitting, I ski all five weekdays. I am also a member of a two lake private site 20 minutes from my house where we have two club boats. On the weekends I drive out there and ski two sets a day all summer. So I have the benefits of a small public lake and a private site. The downside --- winter sucks. Skied the last two mornings and it was 33 degrees both days. Made it through 9 passes the first day,

Texas is sounding better and better. Wife has lived south of Dallas before. Loved it. Of course she's absolutely useless when I have questions about the area because she is completely directionally challenged... but she can ski and drive the boat... and puts up with my continuous work hard play hard attitude.

So what's around the dallas area ski wise? Private vs non-private lake? I really don't want to have to use the HOA boat... I have a boat.. I like my boat. I could use the excuse to buy a newer boat.

Assuming I'd be at Dallas Ft. Worth Airport... What's a commutable location?

How's Eagle Mountain Lake for a public lake? Seems to have some nice properties on it, they appear to allow docks.

Has anyone tried to get a permit from a public lake in TX for a slalom course?

Sorry... lots of questions.

Well, I personally would love a tournament ski lake. I've got the wife to think about, and I think she would prefer something that would be a bit more forgiving for our non skier friends that want to come out and enjoy the boat. I know she would love to be able to cruise the lake with her girlfriends out there. I do see her point.. occasionally...

• Baller

Cool!!! That's Dean's Lake (Drozd) It is a membership required site. 2500.00/year plus gas I think. He has a limited number of memberships he sells each year. Some top slalom skiers train there. Dean, Chad Baker, Steve Binkley, Steve Raphael.

Lake Lewisville is a large public lake with many ramps. Most waterfront property in Texas is owned by the Army Corp. You are not allowed to dock your boat in front of your property.

Lake Lewisville may have one of the highest lake fatality rates in Texas. Many times a year, boat accidents and swimmer drownings.

• Baller

South Florida, Palm Beach-Boca Raton.

For your work PBI and FLL close, MIA not that far.

Houses close to Okeeheele range from uber cheap to uber expensive, but relatively cheap for thier level compared to the rest of the county.

Avg temp in the mid 80's most of the year. Dec, Jan, Feb avg upper 70's. July and August avg 90, so very low 90's. No 50's and below, no 100's and above. Perfect for skiing. The Gulf Stream bumps inshore there so acts as a regulator, more so than in Miami or north of Jupiter.

Port city's so a store somewhere there has anything, lot's going on with arts, sports.

Humidity only seems bad in August. Its on the coast though so always a very light on-shore breeze keeps the air moving and clean year round.

Okeeheele is a (the?) permier public lakes, 5 of 'em, all pretty much perfect.