20 miles of glass

bbirlew

• Baller

Its a great time of year to be a skier in the pacific north west! 20 miles of glass calm water and not a cloud in the sky!

Looking for some technique pointers here. Working on -32 & -35 in the course, but I only make it there 2 or three times a year. The vid is free skiing @ 28 & 32 @34mph. My 35 & 38 passes had the lens cap on the camera! I'll see if I can get some vid next weekend.

Bonus points if you can guess the lake!

• Baller

@scotchipman, yes, a wide ride. Got it used on ski-it-again a couple years ago for a deal I couldn't pass up. It replaced an 8yr old obrien mapple.

The stability in the turn really helped me iron out a few kinks in my form. I used to have a "slam dunk" turn @ 1,3,5... Fun to watch but hard on the body and not terribly consistent! But now that i have that worked out I'd probably look at a mid. Not in the budget for now though.

• Baller

@OB,

If I posted a video of me on the driving range I'd still expect a few comments on my swing!

I mentioned in a previous post, I used to be a course junkie 15+ years ago, but now can only make it to a course a couple times a year. When I get there I'll ski into -35, but I'm hoping to get better with some pointers from you guys.

Surely there are a few things to pick apart? Grabbing for the handle too soon? Dropping my inside shoulder in the turn (a holdover from the slam dunk), letting my arms get away from me in the edge change? Don't need any red dots to see that!

Just looking for some advice on how to get better.

Any and all comments welcome!

• Baller

@OB,

I appreciate that there are things that you can't determine, but I disagree that there aren't any learning opportunities from watching someone free ski.

Similar to how I might tell a beginner to hold the handle with a baseball grip, or to keep their ski on edge through the wake, I know there are much better skiers than me on here and I'm sure some must have some advice that can help me for the next time I do get a chance to ski a course.

Sorry you dont have any advice to offer, but not everyone who free skis is only concerned with the size of their spray... Just trying to learn a thing or two from some people who know more than I do.