Leaking Drysuit

travnews

I have an eagle baggy drysuit and it has a slow leak somewhere around my lower back. The drysuit only has one season on it, and not a very busy season at that. I love this drysuit, I can layer while wearing it, and I think it has fairly low drag. I have worn a new assault hybrid also, and hands down I'd take the eagle over it. If it wasn't for the rubber seals, I don't think I would even notice I was wearing it. Has anyone had problems with an eagle suit leaking? If so, how did you resolve the problem?

• Baller_
@travnews - put it on, zip up, and then blow compressed air in one wrist seal, while you stand there inflated like a plump tomato, have your assistant spray soapy water over the areas you think are leaking, bubbles will show the spot, mark it and then contact Eagle to see who they use for repairs

• Baller

Richards technique sounds fast and easy.

If you don't have access to a compressor, I remember seeing an instructional video made by Chuck Gleeson at Eagle where you turn their suit inside out, roll over and clamp the seals shut (with something like a clip for a potato chip bag) and carefullly fill suit with water...maybe in the shower. Watch to see where water/moisture might be coming through the suit as it is easier to see it on the inside liner...maybe on a seam?

The Eagle website says that they offer repairs. Maybe give them a call. Perhaps they can send you a link to that video (I searched youtube, vimeo, and their site and can't find it for you).

Good luck.

• Baller
Eagle has to send them to Germany where they're made to be fixed. Ours leaked from day one. After 1 1/2 seasons, 3 of the seals dry rotted and had to be replaced. It's probably easier to just replace the seal yourself if it's leaking or to take it to a dive shop and let them do it. If it's just a small leak, AquaSeal will probably seal it up. You can find that at Dive Shops too.

• Baller
I sent a Bare suit to Wiley's to be repaired. I had replaced the seals myself before using aqua seal. Much to my surprise Wiley's called and said that they couldn't do the repairs due to the aqua seal. Wiley's ended up sending the suit to Bare and I was able to get the repairs done. So be careful going the aqua seal route.

I think the leak is on one of the seams where two pieces were sewn togethor. It's not leaking by a seal. On the inside of the suit the seams have some sort of tape over the stiching. I think this is where it's leaking. Any idea what I could use on the leak? Can the AquaSeal be used on the fabric or is it for the rubber seals? Or do I need to find some of the tape they used over the stiching.

• Baller

@travnews -Aqua Seal is really good stuff and you can use it anywhere. If you intend to "fix it yourself" just keep gooping it on till it stays dry inside. I had an old Oniel/Lapointe that lasted 10 years thanks to Aqua Seal - Not pretty but pretty dry.

• Baller

I have all of the OS systems glue & tools to repair suits.

The glue is very similar to Pliobond 20. You might try to use it to fix your suit. You can cut Pliobond 20 with MEK, same as the real drysuit glue.

The seals on a normal suit are not to hard to replace. The barefoot international seals are a PITA though. Send those suits back to the manufacturer.

You can get it here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/pliobond.php

Tim

• Baller

So, I was seriously considering getting an Eagle drysuit until this thread. Several people with leaking suits that are relatively new? Is this a common problem with their suits? I'll be skiing throughout the winter in the NW and don't want to spend $400 on a suit that leaks.

The Wiley or Adrenaline are looking better.

How tough should the seals on a Wiley suit be to get on/off? I got an XL for height but I'm pretty tall and skinny, I don't really have any trouble putting my hands in or my head through the neck seal. The only seal that's tough to get on is the ankle. The neck is tight but not really even close to feeling constricting. I used it for the first time and it was pretty dry but I did get a bit of water in that got my shirt wet; I think from the neck. I didn't take any falls. Is that just normal or is the seal probably a bit too big?