Please comment on my technique, if you would be so kind.

Spesh

Ok, I needed to pluck up a bit of courage to post this on here, as most of the vids I see are of guys ripping through balls on seriously short lines. But, I guess if you don't ask, you don't get.

I started skiing two years ago and have got to the stage where I'm just starting to shorten. I'm regularly skiing 3,4,5 balls at 22off/58kph, however, there is much room for improvement with my technique and I feel I have a long way to go. I have not really had any real coaching, aside from the odd training day and tips from other club members.

Anyway, I was hoping if I posted a vid here, people would be able to give me a few pointers that I could focus on over the winter season. I'll let the video do the rest of the talking......

http://youtu.be/uCXUopsBkCw

• Baller
Good Job! Keep on it, and you'll continue to improve. The one thing I notice is that sometimes, when you come into your offside pull/load (out of 1,3,5, Especially 5 ball), you lead a little with your shoulders. This could lead to a nasty header if you aren't careful. I'd try to work on coming out of 1,3,5 in better balance, shoulders squared to the boat a little more. Again, keep up the great work!

• Baller

Nice skiing. Agree with Bruce's comments.

Out of 1,3,5 in particular but some out of 2,4,6 your hips are trailing and separated from the handle. If you could get those hips up to "stacked" position, you will have more effortless leverage and will be surprised at how fast and easily your ski accelerates. You could either think about getting your hips up, sticking your chest out which will bring the hips up, keeping your elbows tight to your sides...all different ways of trying to get you up to stacked.

• Baller

These guys have nailed it. There are a lot of ways to think about getting and holding more leverage -- several good ways are above. In my case, one of the consistently most powerful is to think about leaning my upper body away so that it's (almost) lined up with the rope. That indirectly gets the handle down and makes it easier to stay down.

Stay on the trajectory you're on now and you'll be deep -35 before you know it!

• Baller
One thing that might help with that is how you start your pull out and gate glide. You're gliding with your arms out. Where you start there is where you will ski the entire pass, for the most part. Roll out with the elbows into the vest and the handle down. Roll up into your glide and keep that inside arm pinned against the vest with the handle in relaxed downward position. Then when you make your gate turn, the handle will just slide from one hip to the other. You'll have a much better chance at keeping the handle low and in when you start that way. You'll notice that when you get the handle in and connected, the boat moves you forward in the glide as opposed to you falling back and being pulled into center in the glide.

Thanks a lot for all the responses guys. Everything here makes sense, I just need some time on the water to put it in to practice.

I just got back from the lake today, where I have been working on closing my shoulders off to the boat a little bit more. I think I am too open on my 2-3 side and also through the gate. I have to say this really helped a lot. It made it easier for me to get my hips up to the handle and made me stronger against the boat. I found myself in areas of the course that I am not used to being in and had lots more time at the bouy.

Addressing Bruce's point, I've also noticed that it puts me in a postion where I can't really let up too early. I actually have to wait for the boat to physically release me, which I'm sure must be a good thing (certainly feels like it's working).

Anyway, employing this new technique, I managed to ski straight through 22off and midway through 28, which is a first for me (only at 34mph though).