New Outback tower

ToddF

Has anyone seen or skied behind the new moomba outback with their new tower? I was looking at it and I don't see anyway someone could ski behind it much past 22-28 off before it was hitting the tower? It is nice looking but seems like it would me the course impossible or much more challenging then it already is.

The outback has a good amount of room in the bow. I almost traded my family boat (which is a moomba) in for one last off season- as Garn said you can order it with the old style tower but it doesn't decrease the cost any. You can also order it without any tower which knocks the price down by a little. As soon as I saw that tower last year I posted on the moomba forum that I'm not sure who will buy one with the tower shown in your pic- it seems like anyone who doesn't give a hoot about slalom will just go with the V-drive, and a skier serious enough to want the direct drive won't want that tower. I'm wondering if skier's choice's sales numbers are telling them the same thing or not.

• Baller
The Outback isn't very common. I don't know if its because its not one of the big 3, (4? Centurion) But after I've worked on mine a bit, I've got it skiing pretty good. The wake is not 2012 Malibu quality, but I think is right on par with either Malibu or MC 2010 era wakes. Wait, its better than the MC wake wise. Props go so far to 150 trouble free hours on mine. Truth be told, Its easier to pick up the same balls behind a 2012 Malibu, but I my actual ball count is the same this summer. If I were looking again, I'd still look at it, maybe order w/o tower and put my own on. The forward folding tower sucks. Ski wise though, if your looking for used, the hull hasn't changed since like 2004 or so.

• Baller

One thing I've kind of learned is that you can do all the activities on a direct drive boat that you can do on a v-drive boat but you can't do all the activities on a v-drive that you can do a direct drive. You can have a decent slalom wake on a bigger direct drive but if you own a v-drive, you can pretty much forget about any aggressive slalom skiing completely.

If you buy a boat designed for both wakeboarding and slalom skiing, it's probably a safe bet that you aren't skiing into or beyond 28 off. Not to mention that you choose that style of tower for looks over function.

• Baller

@jfw432, I've been looking for years for a crossover boat that gives a better ski/wakeboard combination than my '94 nautique. Slalom as short as you like, but Weight it down and the wake is big and clean.

Of course in a perfect world I could afford a new sport specific boat for each event! Hmmmm.....

In the mean time, it's not the boat holding me back in either case!

• Baller

@bbirlew - biggest issue weighting down a DD ski boat is freeboard. The older boats just don't have much.

My Prostar with a good hunk of weight will throw a respectable wake, but if you aren't paying attention you can get water over the back of the boat when you drop off plane. It just isn't all that safe, and if you are public waters with waves and other boats you don't want a swamped ski boat.

For all around most of the more recent open bow direct drives have a good amount of freeboard ('94 is too early for this, great ski boats regardless), the more modern ones however have given enough height to the designs that you can weight em up and not be too overly concerned about waves over the back. That is the single reason to go modern, I prefer the 90's boats myself when you do the price/feature analysis, there's not 50K in the budget for boats.

• Baller

@braceMaker,

Any suggestions for a boat that would have either:

A slalom wake as good as my 94 CC, and a better wakeboard wake, or

A wakeboard wake as good as my boat but a better slalom wake?

All the new slalom boats seem to have a really rounded washed out trick/wakeboard wake.

I slalom into -35 in the course or free ski @ -38, and have a good mix of ~10 inverts and a bunch of 3s and 5s on the board.

Our mix would be 40% slalom, 35% wake, 15 surf, 10% tricks.

Maybe 2-3 barefoot sets a year too for good measure!

The nautique handles about 900lbs behind the doghouse and 150lbs up each side. Tools, amps/sub, anchor, etc up in the bow level it off nicely. Freeboard is an issue for surfing, but not wakeboarding with our weight setup.

My biggest beef is the trough beyond -35 for slalom, but of course I wouldn't complain about a bigger wakeboard wake either!!

Suggestions appreciated!

• Baller

The malibu's are pretty good, the wedge does work.

Our neighbor has a CC 196 so I feel your pain on that.

In my book any of the boats with more freeboard allow you more safety margin when you are weighting the boat. Meaning you then have more leeway to tune for firmer wakes.

Unfortunately I believe it is the way the ski hulls try to feather out the wakes to not be firm that you are struggling with.