Top of ski is separating from bottom - solutions??

estrom

• Baller

I've got an RCX and there's a couple of spots along the side where the top is separating from the bottom. There's two different spots a couple inches in length with a visible gap that I can slide my fingernail into. Any ideas on what to put in the gap to re-adhere the top? Epoxy? JB Weld? ?? Thanks.

• Baller

That is quite a bit of delamination. I would not recommend skiing on that ski for risk of it breaking and potential injury. Unfortunately, IMHO, I do not think you will be able to make a permanent repair to that ski.

I would contact D3 and see if they will help you out. I know Connelly or O'brien would.

• Baller

@estrom Do you have salt water time on the ski? I've seen salt get in the ski and cause such a delamination. Very common on trick skis with rear toe plates that are not inserted. All were old enough to be well out of warranty. Despite lots of delamination, none of these trick skis has broken. But trick ski loads are different. That looks like a critical area.

Your fix idea might work. Use quality laminating slow cure epoxy (JB weld has too many thickeners). Get the epoxy warm and it thins out a lot and might wick in enough to give reasonable strength. Clamp it well. And accept a bit more risk in your skiing.

Eric

• Baller

I've been talking with them and getting nowhere. They said there's a 12 month warrantly and an additional 12 month warranty assistance program (whatever that is?) that only applies to the original owner, and since I'm the second, I'm SOL. Stinks because it's an '08 that is otherwise in beautiful condition with no marks whatsoever. It is not due to abuse/poor treatment.

• Baller

@Horton, I agree with you to a certain extent. On the other hand, I have rarely seen this issue, even on skis 10 or 15 years old. Due to the condition of the rest of the ski, it seems to be an obvious defect. That's my only point.

• Baller
I have a 2007 D3 Nomad that has been abused; due to handle strikes, etc. with at least two big chuncks out of the side wall that I repaired. The first one happened 1 year into ownership and the other was 5 years into it. The ski is still good; no delamination even with the chuncks out of the side wall where the top plate meets the ski. Skis should not delaminate after only 3, 4 or 5 seasons of use.

• Baller

Well, I've been away from skiing for a few years so maybe I stand corrected here. Are we saying it's not uncommon for skis costing $600 at a minimum to fall apart after a few years? If that's how they're being made now, then okay. They sure used to last longer!

• Baller
@estrom, Just FYI...that was a $1050.00 new in 2008. You should be able to find a lot of closeouts this time of year. That way it qualifies as new and if you have another issue you will be the 1st owner and have some warranty period. There are probably some 2011's floating around and if you buy them from the dealer; I think they still fall under a one year warranty from the time of purchase.

• Administrators

@estrom

It sucks that you lost your ski. I do not mean to be a dick about this. Please take the below comments in the nicest way possible.

If that ski was purchased in early 2008 it is now 5 seasons old.

If the original owner or you ski very much at all the ski has at least 5,000 cycles (turns and wake crossings) on it. Five thousand is what I did in 2011. I wonder if that ski has 15,000 or 20,000 cycles on it.

As far as being a defect, I am sure that D3 can make a ski that will last for 100,000 cycles but it will be a lot heavier than that RCX. That ski is a light core and all carbon. It is relatively fragile.

Show me a 15 year old ski that is in good conditions and I will show you a boat anchor. A ski made in 1997 might look like new but it was made from rocks and concrete.

I think the practical life of a modern ski is about two seasons. Opinions about this are all over the place and some skis clearly last longer.

If you purchased a used ski to save money I would say you would have been better off purchasing one of the less expensive new skis. D3, HO, Radar and Goode all sell sub $1,000 skis that I think are a better choice than a used ski.

Again I understand you are bummed about the death of your ski. Sorry dude.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@estrom

I think it is also important to note certain other parameters, such as temperature exposure, UV exposure, physical damage that could allow water intrusion, permeability of resins to moisture, and along with that storage conditions between runs.

And I am not certain absolutely where a manufacturer would suggest you keep the ski in all of those places. For instance, is it more damaging to store a ski in a ski locker that is always slightly moist, or in the rafters of a boat house where the deck above is baked in sun all day and temps reach above 100 degrees on hot days? What about freezing? If your ski absorbs any moisture through out the year, should it be kept indoors away from cold temperatures season long, or can it be stored in your winterized boat?

And did you have any damage to the edge of the ski, a nick in the finish near that edge?

• Baller
@BraceMaker, lots of factors there that I honestly don't know the answer to. I do know that it was in a garage, in a case, while not in use, so I'm assuming no exposure to wild temp changes (the location doesn't get snow, etc...). As for ski damage, no nicks or marks whatsoever.

• Baller

That is not normal for a D3. Their quality is excellent. That ski was most likely abused. I bet it was left in a hot car or in direct hot sunlight for an extended period of time. The salt water mentioned above sounds like a possibility also.

I take really good care of my skis. I never leave them out in the sun and always cover them with a towel, even in the shade. They last a long time if properly cared for.

When you get a small (not like this one) top separation you can crazy glue it down. I don't recommend fixing that ski. You will most likely get hurt.

• Baller

I'm surprised no one has said it yet but with that delam being right by the heel, it makes me think this ski has either had a lot of out the front falls or it hit a floating log that crushed the core right under your feet and separate from the skin.

The only repair I'd feel comfortable with would be to scarf out the carbon on either side of the delam on the top and bottom, add new carbon tying into the top and bottom skins, vacuum bag the thing back together, and sand it back to the original profile. By the time you do all of that, you might as well have picked up another ski though and you've probably changed the way the ski reacts on the water.

• Baller

I've broken skis in year one (KD) and been upset...ski was replaced. If I broke one in year 3 I have no argument even though this should be uncommon. I love the RCX, but don't repair yours, buy a new stick. I realize it's real money.

I'm 1.5 yrs into a RTM Razor (NONE have broken acc to Razor), but one more season may be time to change...they ALL lose their characteristics with use like @Horton states above.

• Baller
@Bracemaker, that is interesting. I need to learn about the more recent constructions vs. the constructions that existed back in the day. My old Kidders, and the old Duvall, were way heavier than the current skis seem to me. You mention laminate. That must be the issue, or at least part of it.

@estrom I had the same problem with my RCX, just put some JB Weld or epoxy in the crack where it is seperated and it will be good to go. I purchased an X7 last year and but I still ski on my RCX during the winter months and other than the ski being a little soft because it is 4 years old it skis great.