Vests and cracking ribs

Waternut

• Baller

I'm curious what vests people are using that help reduce the potential for cracking ribs?

A little background on me... I've broken or cracked ribs 3 times. The first two times were with a kayaking vest that I love but the padding is so thick in the front that I was cracking ribs right on the edge where the vests padding stopped. The last time was a couple months ago with the Radar X vest. I bought the Radar vest because I figured it was going to be absolutely bulletproof and there was no way I could hurt my ribs with that thing. I was wrong... Ended up cracking ribs right in the slot where your arms are supposed to lay flat and there is no padding.

I've only cracked ribs once hitting the wake. The other two times were blowing the tail out at the ball.

• Baller_

If you are taking falls and hits hard enough to break bones it might be time to get some professional coaching. Falling that hard and taking hits like that probably are due to bad slalom technique and habits.

I utilize a Eagle vest and an old straight line vest.

I have broken ribs but it was back in the 36 mph day's skiing on an old rope and it broke going into the wake.

• Baller
Technique was definitely a problem at the time of all 3 incidents. I've had lessons from a few people since then and my technique has gotten a lot better IMO. I don't know whether I hit the ball on the last two incidents but it's possible since I was so close.

• Baller

I hit the wake with my eagle vest and it hurt. I was sure I had broke or cracked ribs but doc said they were bruised. I'm using a Camaro impact vest now. It does have padding throughout and comes down well below the rib cage. However its not near as thick as some of the other vest I've seen. I haven't had any crashes were I hit the wake like that one fall.

One of my ski partners cracked some ribs a few years ago, not sure what he is using but it's a big thick vest. He told me when it happened he could lift himself out out of the water onto the platform.

• Baller
After a couple of cracked rib incidents, I've developed a habit of INSTANTLY drawing my arms tight to my ribs, fists to the collar bones and elbows in tight to the bottom of my rib cage. It's worked for some hard body slams so far ...

• Baller
What @jipster43 said. The Radar X vest has the most side panel padding I've ever seen in a comp vest yet is still very comfortable and flexible. Despite our best efforts ocasionally you might take a rib shot to the wake, with the X vest you're as well protected as is possible. One of my main ski buddies seems to crack a rib every other season or so. When I showed him my vest he wore it for one set, went home and ordered one. Hasn't had an issue since (fwiw).

• Baller

I use the Radar/ Ronix CGA approved vest (X vest?). A bit big but still rather comfortable. I do not hurt myself like I did before when using 'regular neopren club vest's'.

When I have my semidry, extra hood-short underwear and the vest I flot like cork.

An extra plus is that the starts become very easy.