Freeski vs. Course Speed

tfriess

• Baller
This weekend I thought to myself what speed I should be skiing at. I mostly freeski at 30 but I struggle to make all 6 at 28. Should I be skiing at the same speed I would in the course, or would increasing the speed help for when I get to that point. Would freeskiing faster help if I went to a course then everything would feel "slow"?

• Baller

First thing's first... Is the ski sized properly for you? I ask because technically I fell into the weight range for my last 66" ski (upper limit though) but the ski was actually designed for 32-36mph and I was skiing 28mph at the time so it was way too small for the speeds I was at and that alone was causing major issues.

If the ski size is correct, I personally like to ski 1-2mph slower than my fastest pass in the course. I say that because I'm still working on my 34mph pass. 28 and 30mph are usually good for me and 32 I struggle with half the time. Haven't made a full pass at 34mph yet. I found when I was skiing open water at 34, it was reinforcing bad habits because I was more scared of the speed. I learned to back the speed down a bit, focus more on proper form and it's been helping a lot.

The guy at the course recommended I shorten the rope too. It helps me behind his boat but shortening the rope on my boat makes the wake really mean and I fear that so I don't do it behind my own boat.

I'm skiing on a Connelly "Big Daddy" , open water at 28mph- I don't think they make a bigger salom than that. It sounds like you (jfw432) and I may be in the same "boat" . When I cut I can't force myself to stay stacked because my boat's wake kicks me airborne. I guess I'll stay on the Connally until I can afford a genuine ski boat.

Thanks for the input.

Jim,

What are you skiing behind? I ride a BigDaddy in and out of the course. If you're truely stacked you should have no real problem cutting through the wake. I have run the course behind i/o's, my 85 MasterCraft, and even a Super Air Nautique. It's all about being centered on the ski. A big wake is actually usefull in showing a skier if their position is as good as they think it is in my experience.

That being said, to really make the BigDaddy something you can ski that aggressively, I had to lengthen the slot and add a slider fin with foil, and add a highwrap binding and toe plate so that I could play with the binding position to really get it to where I was comfortable on the ski. Based on your weight, with a factory binding placement and no wing fin, I would probably keep it around 25 at most. The tail will want to pop out in the turn if you're getting the tip down, which is what will let such a big ski use it's shape to really carve a turn. Might try a smaller ski, but still shaped to help keep it from being too hard on the body.

• Baller

@tfriess I was talking to you in my first post. I was just sharing my recommendation based on what works for me.

@jimlongx Ever since I got the right ski, I haven't really had a problem with the wake. The single exception is when I'm on my boat at short line lengths, it doesn't matter how good my form is, the wake kicks me off my edge. Just for the record though, I don't think I could stay on my edge at 25-28mph behind a deep v hull.

• Baller
@tfriess I don't really see a 67" ski being wrong for you at your height and weight while skiing at 28-30mph. You might be a little on the light side but I don't think you're going to be running into the same problem I was which caused me to get a new ski. My problem was I'm 175lb and 6'0 and was originally using a 66" ski at 28mph in the course. Since my ski wasn't suited for my weight or my speed so I was sinking at the buoys and the boat would pull me out of position before I even got around the ball. I just wanted to make sure this was not your problem. I still stand behind my speed recommendations though. If you're still skiing the course at 28, I would recommend 26-28mph because it's easier to get into the correct position and you have less to fear at a slower speed.