Radar Senate or Senate C

espnman

First post. I've been skiing for 2 years and I'm starting to think my 71 Triumph is a bit too big for me. 6'1'' 230. I'm looking at either a 69 Senate or Senate C for an upgrade. I would describe my skill level as beginner/intermediate, mostly open water but I do have access to a course.

Any reason for me to drop the extra $200 on the C? Will I wish I did 2 years down the line?

Thanks for the help.

• Baller
@espnman I have the Senate and I like it. I'm -15 working on consistency at 34mph and it suits me fine for the time being. I'd say your decision should be based on what you foresee yourself doing. If you will continue to be mostly an open water skier with hitting the course only a couple times per year, stick with the Senate. If you see yourself committing more time in the course and devoting yourself to getting better at it, go with the C.

• Baller

I have to respectfully disagree with your statement Killer. I think one of the biggest mistakes beginning/intermediate skiers can make is buying way more ski than they're able to handle. I know I've certainly made that mistake. Too much ski without the ability to immediately use a significant percentage of what the ski has to offer will generally hold the average novice/intermediate skier back. Seen it happen numerous times. You want a ski that is within reach of your current ability with headroom to grow into but not so much that you can't get in touch with it right away. I've taken skiers off high end skis and put them on a "lower level" ski and seen them make immediate and significant progress due to being on a ski more forgiving and more suited for their current ability levels.

There are plenty of good deals on good mid level skis on Ski-It-Again if money is an issue. I'll never say never, however I don't see myself buying a brand new ski anytime soon with all the good 1 - 2 year old low mileage skis available on SIA for half of what they sell for new.

Stated another way. If you don't know how to use them, good tools won't turn a poor mechanic into a good mechanic. But they will make things easier for someone who has the ability to use them.

• Baller
@mr_pretzel That's a pretty open ended question. Skis are very personal. Any of the current crop of mid to high end skis will do well at 36. For a 15 offer at 36, it's hard to beat the stability of the D3 X7. But someone may like an HO A2 or Razor, or Goode N1, or any number of others.

• Baller

Experience from a beginner (for what it is worth).

My coach this summer (Thomas at www.waterskiitaly.com) also confirms Ed Obermeier's advice.

You will most likely learn faster on a sligetly larger ski than the Senate. It will be more forgiving for minor misstakes and help you with position and timing in the course.

I started ski on a Radar Theory but would propably have progress faster on a Radar P6 the first seasons. The Theory is capable of really short line and / or speed up to 30-32 mph.

Unfortunately, it will take way too long before I really will need a more advanced ski (it would be a nice present to me when I have reached a certain goal).

And yes I also prefer to ski a bit faster when I free ski just because it is fun with some more speed.

For me the coaching was really usefull. I managed to squze in 12 long sets during 4 days.

Next season we plan for coaching 1-2 weeks (if my body can take it).

Best luck and keep us updated on your progress.

(This forum needs some more beginners =0)

Peter

Experience from another beginner and dissension from some of the other opinions in this thread (for what its worth)

I started skiing only a few years ago and ski on average one set per week 4 months out of the year (about 20 sets a year, it aint much!). I'm consistently running 30 mph/15 off and occasionally running 32 mph. Right now I have a Theory, Senate, Senate C, and Strada. I read many threads like this before finally deciding to quit reading and find out for myself. Without a doubt I ski better on the Strada than any of the other skis. Next is the Theory, and finally the Senates. The Senates just don't work for me, I have no idea why.

I guess the moral to my story is you may not want to rule out the Theory for your size and 30mph (which is really not dissension from the other opinions). But then again, you say you free ski at 34mph, so go for the Strada!

• Baller

@tfriess I hope so because I just bought a vest off of that site a few days ago. I didn't see any complaints or scams for that site before buying though. If you want, I'll message you a reference link and if you buy something we both get $10. You'd get $10 off your first order which is nice.

@espnman I don't think you can go wrong with any newer ski that is actually sized appropriately for you. The carbon version will probably be a little faster and will help you in the course. However, if you start getting addicted to the course, you're probably going to want a different ski in a year or two anyway so it probably doesn't matter what you get now. If you really just want to ski open water, I doubt you'll notice a difference between the two ski's.

• Baller

I'd echo Ed too. You might like a smaller ski, but you don't always need a stiffer ski that takes more energy to keep moving.

I have raced/sold alpine ski gear for ever. Too many people try to "up-ski" themselves because only old heavy dudes buy the wide ride, right? Sadly, this is often true. Some of the mid-line skis these days are REALLY fun. Easy to turn, fun to cruise open water,etc...

The Theory isn't made for speed, as it's not stiff enough. But if you don't mind 32, it's awesome. The Senate is a great ski for going a bit faster with a bit more effort. But for me? Skip it. Either go Theory or Strada/Vice/Senate C.

Again, a good skier can smoke it with nearly any ski these days.