Help Buying New Ski

Omland

• Baller

I have never bought a new ski before but plan to do so this year and had a few questions. I currently ski on an HO CDX1 that I just picked up off a shelf and bought with Animal bindings. It's a 65". I'm 6'4 and weigh about 165 or 170.

I am thinking of ordering the new A3. I couldn't find a sizing chart but found a couple for the A2, I think I need a 66 or 67"? I also have a few questions on bindings. After reading these forums it sounds like not many people are using the Exo binding system.

What would people recommend for a hardshell binding? It sounds like maybe the Radar Strada or Goode Powershell? If you do order bindings from a different brand than HO how hard are they to mount on the ski and get into the correct position?

Thanks.

• Baller

Hey @Omland! I've been waiting for someone else to chime in and answer yer questions, but I'm pretty confident I have answers for you.

Being that you are skiing at 36mph, you would probably like the 66" A3 more than the 67" - especially since you've been pretty comfortable on a 65". I'd get the bitchin' green and yellow limited edition A3 while yer at it!

The Radar Strada binders will fit the HO hole pattern. The Powershells attach via dual lock, so they will work on any ski. They're both awesome setups, but the Radar may be easier to adjust to coming from Animals. Also, they are easier to get in and out of. One of the fellas at our club switched from the Radar to Powershells only to return to the Radars.

Hope this helps!

From the options I would go with the Strada bindings for sure. Getting the dual-lock working well seems to be a challenge for many people. I personally don't trust it enough. Also consider Reflex if you are looking into Hardshells. They have a new slalom shell out which I currently use and like a lot. I moved from Animals and was on an A2 at the time I switched.