Razor 2A68

thager

• Baller

Bought a new Razor A68 a little while back and am having a heck of a time dialing it in. Set up all stock and was moving the wing to

7 degrees from stock 8 to try to get some width. As I was doing so I noticed that the model number says 2A68 not A68 and wondering if I got the correct ski. This one is a stiff as a steel girder compared to the Fischer Orange 01 I just came off of. Anyone out there know?

• Baller
@ShaneH Thanks! That's what I was hoping to hear. Just wanted to be sure I didn't get some custom layup or something. Never noticed the 2 before. 6ft 190 lbs. Waters getting cold, 60 degrees or so. Had to pull almost to buoy line on Tuesday @ -32. Getting onside bus turns and lean lock at stock shortline settings fin and boot. 99.9 % is skier as I was really physically tired that time out. Moved bindings back one hole from stock Thursday to 29 5/8 and was much better. Going to MS's today to try some new settings. Will probably start with moving fin back a couple thou.

• Baller
But which shortline settings? They've had some different ones. The ones that Voelker sent us in late July have less tip and the fin is farther forward than their previous shortline settings. Taking tip out would increase outbound direction. I believe 6.850/2.472/.752 binding at 29 or 28 7/8. He also sent some not long ago where they were running much the same but 6.838 length. My ski partner reports it's the fastest ski he's ever been on. I have no experience in that temp water, but he's gone from 8 to 9 degrees wing as the water's cooled here to 80.

• Baller
@thager, be patient and figure it out. The A flex Razor should give you a super tight turn and is crazy fast. If anything I'm slowly dialing the ski back as the only way I can get into trouble on the ski is an over-turn...and even then it's so quick I'm often able to salvage the pass. Binding type and placement were key for me. Jim has tweaked more than I have, you might give him a call or otherwise my bet is Austin Abel would probably help you out as well.

• Baller
Did not go to the latest super duper shortline. There was an original, then an update. I started on the original, then did the update but was skiing well so did not alter for the latest update. Jim is running same but recently added some depth at the rear of the fin and moved bindings back one hole. I would tinker a bit myself if there was more season.

• Baller
@thager -- first off, I believe this ski likes to be ridden neutral to back rather than on the tip. Second, if you push on the ski like I sometimes do on the onside turn, it needs a little more depth to hold in there. I am running .705 DFT, 2.52 depth, and 6.898 length with 7.5 degree wing angle. Bindings (Radar) were at 29.3 DFT. I moved them back one hole -- no idea what the measurement is now, but probably close to 29. If I keep my handle tight and stick with my "lighter for longer" handle control, I can have entire body outside the line at 38 off. If anything, I have to be careful NOT to generate width. I can easily be way outside the buoy line at 32 and 35.

• Baller
Thanks guys! I am at .697 T(needle), 2.476D, and 6.898L and 8 degrees. Boots at 29.0 Last run was ok but legs were so darned tired I got on the front too much and washed out tail at 4 ball -32 @34. Offside turns were much better but still felt a little slow across course. Might add some depth, I will try Razorskier1's numbers next. I also have JD's numbers and may try those too.

• Baller
Today, Charles dropped down to 34mph in prep for Big Dawg next year. We went back closer to stock on his 66. At 36, he wanted more length and depth but at 34, he wanted the ski to carry out better. Essentially, 6.911, 2.478, .742, 9 degrees. First set at 34 on it was 5 at 39 1/2 off. I still think we need to take length out and add depth. But the ski works at both 34 and 36 for him.

• Baller

@skoot1123, best season of my life both practice and tourney by wide margin in my first year on the Razor. I think I'm a better skier, too, but the ski saves my bacon with regularity. Jim's son has practice and tourney PB's shortly after jumping on the ski as well.

Cool thing is it helps me when I'm hammering (my worst habit), but is even more helpful when I ski smoothly. The ski really kicks butt if the I go low effort pulls...it just slings me to the other side with width I don't believe have given how soft I pulled, especially at short lines where the boat provides the swing.

• Baller
@Skoot1123 The razor has fabulous build quality. Honestly, I think it's the best ski made as far as quality goes. It really is that good. It skis like a really, really fast Goode. But without the stop/start or the tip bit if you don't ride it perfect. One of the comments my ski partner keeps making is that it's the fastest ski he's ever been on through the turns. The average speed is higher throughout the course. It also comes back in off the apex on it's own, without needing much if any input from the skiers hips. Try it. I think it'd end up being the primary and the monza would end up as the spare.

• Baller
Agree with @ShaneH (which is different than agreeing with @MS). The ski runs incredibly fast and smooth through the entire path. If you ski "correctly", it rewards you with incredibly smooth turns and rapid exits across the wakes. If you get behind and need to plant a turn to get back in, it will let you stand on the tip and make it happen. While I prefer to ski it right, I like the ability to push the ski hard when I need to and be confident that I know exactly what it is going to do. I'd highly recommend it.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 is a genius!!! Finally got a chance to try his settings since my college driver is home for the weekend and the lake went mirror calm. Was the only boat out there. Absolutely the easiest 2x-22, 2x -28, 2x -32's @ 34 I have ever run! I now know that wide and laughing, waiting for the ball feeling that @Razorskier1 talked about. Fun, fun, fun! I was going to sell my Razor and go back to my Fischer #1 but not now. Water was upper 50s and air about 63 or so. Thanks Jim! The depth thing was money!!!!!!

• Baller
@thager awesome...glad Jim got your ski worked out. I was hoping you would get it dialed. If you couldn't get it going I would have bought it from you, stored it, and broken it out after another season or two on my existing Razor. Love my ski.

• Baller

@thager. Can you compare the Fischer Orange and the Razor for us a bit. I.e. do you feel the Razor is an improvement over the Fish or pretty similar etc and in what regards? Appreciate the info.

Sounds like from what I'm getting here this might be a good ski for someone (me) who has a bit of issue being able to get on the front of the ski when required as well as he should (damn bum knees...). I got a couple of sets on a Fischer Orange when they hadn't been out too long, really liked the ski but didn't get to ride it enough to get a good enough feel for it to go drop the coin. Hmmm....

• Baller
@Ed Obermeier, When dialed they feel pretty similar to me. Same mold. The Razor feels quicker than my Fish Orange probably due to the layup and the fact that @Razorskier1 skied the crap out of it before I paid him 50 bucks for it. Both skis turn like heck but let me get away with mistakes as I move around a lot. The Razor is RTM so I don't mind spending coin for a ski that works and will last more than one season.

• Baller
I move around some, too. Fischer was too sensitive for me. Razor keeps the high end of the performance envelope but as Jim says, bigger sweet spot. Jim's son demo'd a B flex before going A and I know Jim skied it, too. It turned nice and tight but just didn't have the speed of the A flex according to them...and this was obvious from the boat as well.