Radar Satori?

ejj

Here's the new HO freeride which seems like it is for the same idea, but a different approach.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/49747021

There's an ad in the fall Waterski mag for the Connelly Sonic which also looks to be for the same idea.

2013, year of the free ski?

Interested to hear feedback if/when people start trying them out. Maybe something fun for a 3rd set or something where you don't want to wear yourself out.

• Baller
The Connelly Sonic looks to me to be nothing more than the most recent reincarnation of the Iconn PowerCarv, which was the first serious short line 30 mph wide ride ski to come out. Took one regularly into deep 35 off @ 30 mph back in the days I could barely run an occasional 28 off @ 34 on a conventional slalom. I think Iconn first put it out in maybe 1997-98 perhaps? Sombody else bought the design from Iconn when they shut down and built the same ski, even named it the Power Carve (note the slight difference in spelling), I want to say it was HO. Pretty sure someone else put it out after that as well, can't remember who. Maybe someone else here has better info on that. Always wished I'd bought another PowerCarv to have for INT Wide Ride. If this one skis as good as the old PowerCarv's did I want one.

• Baller

Sounds interesting, and like crashman said, might be a good thing to have around in the boat, I'd be curious if I can stow it however.

I've noticed with other "wide ride" skis that I have difficulty keeping the ski in the storage locker of the boat along with any other skis. They just don't play nice what with the wide forefoot and short overall length.

This could also be a fun genre for home lamination, and full wood construction.

• Baller

Hi Ed,

I totally agree with you on the Icon Power Carv. I skied a Kahuna Carv for years and enjoyed life at 260+ lbs since there was really nothing else to support my weight in those days. I also ran some deep passes at 30 mph. I think KD got the shape and made the next version when Icon went out of business. For some reason the KD power carve wasn't the same as the Kahuna carve. We actually had almost everyone we skied with on a Power Carv...at least 10 skis in the neighbourhood. The Power Carv with the Slot fin was heaven at slower speeds! One of our sons still skis on it and won't give it up!

I think the HO's, Radar's, even Goode's etc of today are missing the boat by not offering a high end carbon graphic Power Carv as that was a fantastic shape. They could target that wide ride division Int Ski Category and get all the market.

I am also quite curious about the new Radar Satori. I snow ski a lot and it sounds like it could be a fun shape for a snow skier, so for sure we will have one at the lake next summer.

my best,

Murray

• Baller

Hi Murray. I KNEW there was someone out there who knew about the PowerCarv and had experience with it. I think you're right, I believe it was KD who put it out after Iconn went out. I'd buy another PowerCarv in a heart beat if I could find one in decent shape in 67", think they only made them in 65" and 67".

Back in the day (later 90's) when I first started skiing INT tournaments one of the local sponsors came to a tournament with a couple of PowerCarv's and threw them on the dock just to get someone to try them. We had like a dozen people skiing Wide Ride division on the same ski. I don't mean identical skis, I mean the ONE same ski. We had a blast on it, pretty much everyone went and bought one after that.

Another really good KD wide ride I wish I'd held onto was the KD Evolution Carbon. Basically a widened CR7. Sold it because I wasn't skiing much wide ride at the time, wish I had it back. But that's another thread... Really happy with my current Radar Theory wide ride.

• Baller

Hi Ed,

We might be related, I'm on the Radar Theory as well. I'm sure KD made the Power Carve in a 69 inch version since I own one but for some reason, flex, inconsistent fin alignment or something it was nothing at all like the Kahuna Carv I loved. I actually took the Kahuna Carv out of the attic this summer and ran a few passes on it since I'm trying to convince my son's girlfriend to use a 65 in Power Carv until she gets a few more miles on skis. Watching me ski on it was proof it can really work as I was course skiing into short line with it. When I was fit and younger I actually ran some very short lines on a Kahuna Carv but those days are long gone now.

Of all the skis I have ever been on the Kahuna Carv was probably my favourite. I just wore it out and could not replace it. I skied on the Kahuna (69 inch Power) Carv for years!

So I'm hopin the Satori will be fun not just for jumping the wake but for actually skiing on it as well.

We are a Radar family now and everyone but my one son who is still on an original Power Carv skis on Radar.

my best,

Murray

sounds like these ski s are for wake board boats a great idear with there slow speeds may convert them hay but i have no loyalty knee board wake board biscets its all fun and keep the family happy but love the slalom ski the most.@Waternut some people are stuck in there ways hay have you tryed the board

@buski I'll let you know when I try it. My wife likes to ski but she's not addicted to the speed the way most of us are, and I have a 66 year old dad who I think would ski more if it were easier on his body- deep water starts are really hard on him. I hate to see him fishing instead of skiing. When we're not at the ski club we often visit the local reservoir which has a speed limit so I think the Satori might hit the spot for some postcourse enjoyment.

• Baller

@allycat Yes I wakeboard and wakesurf as well. The board snob's excuses are usually that there is so much left to learn on a wakeboard which is crap because they basically didn't learn anything new all last summer and we go out 2-3 days a week. I can do everything they do on a wakeboard and have maybe 1/4 of the time on the board.

Skiing with a bunch of boarders is still more fun than sitting at home by myself but I see these ski's as a gateway for skiers to go to boarding and not the other way around. To the boarders, it's still a ski and therefore uncool and boring.