2013 HO A3

Ed_Johnson

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller
@bogboy: I really like what they have done with the A3. Should be significantly better than the A2. Got a good look at Will's ski here in Orlando...The S2 is what I consider the BEST "training" ski ever. Since I lost vision in my left eye, I had to change my focal points considerably. The S2 was perfect for this since it allowed you to try a lot of different things and not punish you...Things have been progressing well, and plan to look for a short line tournament ski for next season. The considerations are the AM33, N1, and A3.

• Baller
I talked to Willy briefly about the A3. He said the A3 moves out and back in more fluidly than the A2. The A2 was less work than the A1 for him, but the A1 gave him a better platform to stand on as the ski was going outbound. So the A3 was designed to give that anchored platform going out and then to come back under the rope and roll into angle and lean automatically.

• Baller

I actually texted Willy after Diablo. That is the best I have seen him look in years. He has obviously done well over the past few seasons, but to me it always looked hard. When I skied with him years ago he was initally on a Sixam (or maybe a Mapple) and then the 9500. He was powerful, but also very smooth. On the Monza, A1, and A2 he ran a lot of buoys, but to me it always looked like work. If this ski works like it looked at Diablo look out. He may have a big 2013.

Dirt. You should go back to the Vice and stay out of MM. :) I am actually interested to hear what you think of the A3 after riding for a while.

• Baller

@Krlee I have to work Saturday. Thanks for the offer.

I just took my first A3 ride. Great ski! It creates space at the buoy. 28,28,32,32,35,38,1.5@39,3@39.

I think I need to move the binding and adjust the fin a bit but it feels good.

• Baller
Help! I’m confused. How radically different is the A3 from the A2? HO says that the A3 is also available in a Junior version. Does this mean that HO is saying that the A3 fits all skiers at all speeds? Does this imply that a 34 mph ski such as the S2 is just a marketing ploy? I’m currently skiing on a S2 and have really improved my skiing this year. I tried an A2 and it just didn’t feel as good.

• Baller
It seems that the A2 may have missed the mark. It was basically a modification of the A1, but feedback has been mixed. However, the S2 has had some excellent feedback. As far as the A3 goes, it's supposed to be a completely different ski. According to what HO is saying, it's almost like they started fresh instead of modifying the A2. I think marketing wise, they may have been better off to get away from calling this the A3 if it's truly not a modification of the A2. I think when they say a junior version, they are simply referring to length of the ski. Remember, B3 skis at 36 mph and is considered a junior division. If you like the S2, stick with it. I would expect the A3 to be very different from the A2 and S2.

• Baller

The A2 skis very similar to the A1 & looks almost identical. Ive loved both skis and they keep getting better!

A2 is an improvement, not as punishing and you dont have to completely stomp on the front foot in the preturn Like the 1. Im a year behind so in 2014 will ride the A3 :)

• Baller

A3 is vastly different. It's a constant rocker ski like a Warp instead of a 3, 4, or 5 stage rocker. So essentially, there is no flat spot, just a continuous curve when sitting static.

@lakeaustinskier I would not assume that a Jr A3 is an identical shape to the regular A3. A lot of the jr skis are earlier designs that they just name as the current ski. How the A3 jr is positioned will remain to be determined.

• Baller
Interesting comment from Shane about the continuous rocker. The Nano One is basically a bannana which I was initially concerned about. In the old days a ski like that would not have gone across course well. It seems that you can now have your cake and eat it too.

• Administrators

@lakeaustinskier & @webbdawg99

I think both of you guys are smoking crack. The A2 is not really a lot like the A1. Not in the ways that matter. They do not ski the same. You may not like one or both but they are not close to being the same ski.

S2 is a whole other thought process.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton Smoking crack? At what point did I say they were a lot alike? My comment was that "according to HO" the A2 was a modification of the A1. If making that statement makes me appear to be "smoking crack".....take it up with Dave Wingerter and the HO marketing team

• Administrators

@webbdog99

Sorry if i sounded grumpy. As admin around here I should watch my tone better.

I do totally disagree when you say that the A2 missed the mark but that is my opinion.

Yes the A2 came from the A1. Most skis start as something before it. Most skis are an evolution of a previous skis. Yes there are some skis that look to started as a fresh sheet of paper but most do not.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

There's always a reason to upgrade.

I said the A1 and a2 are very similar. My rational Isnt microscopic or precise, but it is practical, something some of you are obviously lacking.

As an intermediate skier i was instantly able to Ski exactly like i was used to on tHe a1: & comfortable at that.

Ive skied on a number of different skis recently and most feel drastically different either in the first few sets or even later down the test Cycle. A2 for me coming off A1 was instant comfort.

• Baller

@jdarwin I like your plan.

@Killer I knew what you meant. I believe the A3 will feel comfortable to you, coming off of the A2. It is a very different ski as Horton pointed out but it is an upgrade. I did not miss a pass until one of my most difficult ones during my first ride on it.

You never know which ski will be "The One" for you because there are many different styles and preferences but I think this ski will be very popular and successful.

• Baller

I rode a vice for several months and rode matteovargas' gry/red 11 strada but only a few rides. I prefered his strada to the vice and the A2 & A3 to the strada. The strada is a great ski and was less effort to ride.

The A2 & A3 got better angle and tracked outbound better for me. The A2 worked better when I skied aggressively. The A3 felt like it may not require as much aggression. The tip rode higher on the A3.

• Baller

@ktm300 the A3 carves all the way around and gets great angle. When I say the tip is riding higher, I don't mean tip rise at the end of the turn. The tip is not "looser or less automatic." This ski gets better angle, easier than the A2. It does not have the abrupt finish to the turn. It carves around and smoothly transitions into great angle and holds it outbound. The result is more space and a much earlier line.

I don't have the experience Horton has at reviewing skis and don't ride anywhere near as many. I look forward to him riding it. He will give you a much better description.

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend you try it.

• Baller

I took two more rides on the A3 yesterday. I am not sure if anyone is interested. These numbers felt the best to me. Keep in mind, I am on rubber bindings and only going 34 mph.

67 inch A3

Front Binding 29 5/8

2.506, 6.849 tips, .78 dft flat with ski standing on the tip, 7 degrees wing