Don't forget to tune into Swiss Pro Tricks this Sunday

https://www.swissprotricks.com/

Horton Horton

Help with set up on new ski 2012 Prophecy

SDNAH2OSKIER

Ok, got my new ski two weeks ago, FINALLY got to ride yesterday and going again tomorrow. I rode it out of the box with the foil at 7 degrees and two issues, struggled to get up with talon boots tight, loosened the upper part of the boots and temporarily fixed that but would like to be able to tighten up in the future so any tips on starting with the boots properly cinched would be appreciated.

The ski out of the box was uncooperative with the foil at 7, I took it off and it freed it up a bunch but its missing a bit of stability, wondering if I should put it back on at 0 or 1-2???? I was at first a bit disappointed but after taking the foil off it felt closer to the 2011 I have been riding with the slight added stability that connelly represents the 2012 has over the 2011 and so far I can feel that slight difference/improvement. So, any suggestions on what I should try tomorrow would be much appreciated!

• Baller
What size, what line lengths, what speeds? I have been riding a 2012 68" Prophecy since June 14th and I really like it. I came off of a D3 Nomad. The numbers that the pros are running on this ski do not work so well for the average hacker and I qualify as the latter. Horton's review and numbers for this ski were pretty close to where I landed and I echo his comments on binding placement.

200lbs 28 @15 off, hacker, I free ski at 31. I actually like to ski at 31 maybe even a little faster but I can make the buoys at 31.

I think I mistakenly left the foil on and it was a bit of a let down from the fast and intuitive feel of the 2011 that did not have a foil. My second ride without the foil was much better. I think the consensus is to ditch it until I am a much more advanced skier.

And thanks for the comment about Hortons review, I will revisit and take notes.

• Baller
@SDNAH2OSKIER, you really cannot rely on the binding holes for binding placement until you establish what the true measurement is. You need to measure from the heal of the front binding to the tail of the ski to get that number. I am guessing you are on a 68". I am on a 68" @ 200 lbs and ski 34 mph into 35 off. The 67" ski would be too small for you especially at those speeds. Horton's numbers were 2.495, 6.86, .770, and I believe no wing. I would take out a little depth and length at those slower speeds so it doesn't feel like the ski is draggin so much. Maybe 2.490 and 6.845 to 6.85. If you run a wing; don't go anymore than 7 degrees. The 68" stock FB setting is 29.625 (29 5/8).

Yes it is a 68" I am measuring 29 3/16 from the back of the front binding plate to the back of the ski, is that where I am supposed to be measuring? And for the fin, do I need to get a caliper device to measure or??? I am happy to go buy the right tool/device. And thanks for the help!! Really appreciate it.

• Baller

Go here:

http://www.d3skis.com/v/sitefiles/Tech%20Support%20Fin%20Adjustment%20Literature%20Rev%20A.pdf

There are pictures of the measuring techniques and description of what happens for each type of adjustment. Is there anyone you ski with or near by that could help you get started with measuring and fin set up. It is always good to have someone that is familiar with fin adjustments to provide guidance when you are first learning. Especailly with the Prophecy fin block because it doesn't have set screws to help dial in the fin.

and here (this is a Rossi instruction video):

From eyeballing it, you fin looks too deep, too long, and too close to the tail based on the numbers I stated before.

I did tweak it and actually moved it back a tad and took some depth out of it. Physically I Am shot and only took two runs. I feel a lot better about it today and realize I just need to work on it a bit. I can tell the ski indeed has a bigger flat spot and feels more stable than the 2011. We are pulling permits to ski the course next week so I will see how it handles in the course. I ski a lot more aggressively in the buoys.

• Baller

I switched from an F1 to this ski this year and also bought into the Stealth hard shells. Big change!!!!

I felt like I was on a trick ski on my first ride mainly because the ski was so much more reactive. I trusted the set-up (not factory) and figured I had a bit of a learning curve to go thru. Not my best season but I find that the ski is there for me when I get it right. Lots of fun.

210 lbs

34 mph. 28 off