Advise on Skiing with Sun Glasses.

gregy

• Baller_
Worn them for decades. Mostly a contact thing but huge help in glare. The only way to cut glare is by using polarized shades. Not just uv protection or dark. Must be polarized. It makes a huge difference. May have to give it several sets to get used to the water drops. I dont even notice them any more. Fogging up can be an issue while waiting to get pulled up. Currently I use a pair found at Walmart made by the fishing giant Berkley (they are the ones in the photo). They are the cheapest polarized shades I've ever seen at $5. I go through several pair per season based on scratches and such but have only lost a pair or two over the years in crashes. The yellow rubber tubing is also found at Walmart (have not seen it lately though). They float with air trapped in the tubing and hold snug. e30de736a1376f9112e7ed80514871.png

@Horton, they are metal frames.... LOL I donate them to the water Gods a little to frequently. They have traditional frames now too. He is the majority shareholder but doesnt run day to day. www.gatorz.com I know they have some pro endorsers, indy car and some others. I can suggest that they consider a ski pro should be wearing them. That is about the extent of my influence.....

• Baller_

Never had a nose issue in crashes and I can ski without them but like JTH my eyes get super dry and often the contact ends up in the corner or way up under the lid and trying to move it back will cause it to fall out. @skibrain I used to wear Spex prescription floating sunglasses but I don't see them on the net when I Google them but a bunch of other brands/designes popped up.

• Baller

@gregy Here are a couple of pics of the floating Bomber safety glasses. Even though they float, sometimes you can send them deep in a good face-plant and it takes a minute or so for them to surface. So I put a piece of bungee cord on the arms (about a 1/2" looser than the circumference of my head) and now they rarely come off.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1530989/Waterskiing/BOS/Bombers/IMG_1959.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1530989/Waterskiing/BOS/Bombers/IMG_1958.JPG

• Baller

Just got refitted for contacts. The new lenses are a bit more finicky for skiing than the old. Also, my eyes dry out more now than they did when I was younger.

Point being things change with age and brand of contacts. etc.

I've used Spex, but will try the bombers. Polarized is definitely the only way to go on water.

• Baller
Bomber makes floating polarized glasses, but they are not rated as safety glasses (the lense and frame have to be one piece to get rated as safety glasses). They do have mirrored and dark safety glasses, which I use, and although they are not polarized, they work great. I also have a set of yellow Bombers, and they REALLY make the bouys stand out! All of these glasses offer UV protection too. I use Rainx on them and it hasn't damaged the lenses at all.

• Baller

Regarding the Rainx, it doesn't work as well as one might expect. You still get droplets on the inside, they still fog up at each end when you drop, and the lenses get a film buildup on them every few passes. You do get used to the messy view and doing a little maintenance between passes, and while you can't argue the safety, wearing eye protection is not without issues.

On the other hand, when I forget to wear them, the view is spectacular, but the wind and spray in my eyes is distracting and I feel like I'm driving fast without a seatbelt. So you do get used to them within only a few passes.