Cheap but accurate dial caliper

ktm300

• Baller
A friend who is relatively new to course skiing asked me about buying calipers. Anybody have a link to a set of cheap ones that will still measure the fin accurately. I think my past high end caliper expenditures were probably a waste of good money. Thanks.

• Baller

@GAJ0004

Not a bad choice, I'm not sure you could convice me that this:

http://www.slotcaliper.com/

Is physically a different product than:

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-inch-digital-caliper-47260.html

Now if you want the slot... probably not the easiest thing in the world to machine accurately with out fu-baring the caliper, so might as well pony up if you want slot measurements.

I have starett, mituyo, browne and sharpe, and HF, and all are accurate to caliper level measurements.

• Baller

@BraceMaker That's hilarious! I was going to say the same thing about how similar the $125 Slot Caliper is to this $19.99 caliper:

ebay.com/itm/8-200mm-Digital-LCD-CALIPER-VERNIER-GAUGE-MICROMETER-/170622717187?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b9e80d03

This may explain the inconsistent numbers different people are getting with different sets of Slot Calipers. @ktm300 Cheap calipers can be SO anoying to use that high-end calipers are worth the premium. Cheap calipers are, however, better than no calipers.

• Baller

Perhaps, HF calipers are actually pretty well regarded by the Home Shop Machinist types, they are repeatable to the point where you would realistically measure with a caliper.

With digital your combined error increases the further you go, so if you zero out, and then advance to the edge of the ski, you only have .75" of travel for error to accumulate over, and it should be repeatable.

I suspect the variability in numbers have more to do with the tail of the ski not having a "sharp" edge to accurately catch with the caliper, so varying amounts of pressure into the ski could allow you to "catch" more or less of the ski. Hence creep.

• Baller
Also for ski stuff, I wouldn't recommend dial. We do a number of measurements, and usually it is helpful to be able to accurately "zero out" your measurements, so you can go, I want to go .XXX" deeper, and measure to that number, instead of moving it and then going... did I want ..788 or .785....

• Baller

I haven't found the worth in premium calipers yet. After watching countless people use calipers in front of me on aircraft, I've found that when people like or dislike certain calipers they are either patient and willing to measure correctly or they are impatient because the calipers suck in their mind and they do one quick half arsed measurement and it's totally the calipers fault that the measurement isn't accurate.

We haven't even dreamed up all the ways a human can mess up measuring with calipers. Human error plays a big part especially when you're talking about +/-0.001".

• Baller
When I bought mine I only had $35. I always had O'Brien Tru Lock fins so I ever needed one until I bought my D3. I its not as user friendly for measuring for a ski as the slot caliper, but it works for me. I keep my fin on the factory setting, and no problems.