Ski Recommendation... B2 skier

ToddL

• Baller

My son is about to grow... both in skiing and in size. He's almost 12. I expect him to hit a growth spurt at late 13 to early 14.

Currently -

80 lbs, 4'11", size 7.5 shoe, skis on 65" Connelly Concept (circa. 2005-ish), runs full course at -15 starting at 19 MPH through 23 MPH, few buoys at 25.

I expect him to grow to -

140 lbs, 5'6", size 9 shoe in a couple of years. I am hoping that he will be skiing into 34 MPH by then...

So, I want to get him a newer ski. I am thinking that as he grows in size/weight, his speed will grow, too. So, I am thinking that what ever I buy him will likely last a 3-4 years.

I am looking at the RadaR Vector bindings and will get him to test fit the 7-11 size. I hope this works, cause then we will have bindings that can grow with him. Any others out there that you recommend?

I am thinking that another 65" or 64" ski would also fit the bill. His Concept is old school mold (thin in width thorughout and is heavy in materials). So, maybe a newer technology 64" will ski similarly???

Short list of skis that I am keeping an eye out for are:

D3's - X5, RCX,

HO - Newest Triumph based upon hype

Radar - Vice

Others I should look for? If a locating a speciifc year for a recommended ski is critical, please note that in your response.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

• Baller

Todd I wouldn't be afraid of putting him on an A2 or in a 65.5 right now. My son is bigger than yours and a better skier but when he was starting at 28 mph and weighed 140 lbs I put him on a 66.5" A2 and that is carrying him easily into 22 of and I know it will take him much farther. My son is 13 right now. You can find good deals on 2011 A2s and the only difference between 2011 and 2012 is the fin box and fin.

Another option would be a Coefficient X. My daughter is on one of those and she skis 23-25 mph and it works for her.

The D3s or Radar Vice would work as well. My son skied on an old D3 X5 until he was running into 34 mph then we moved him to the A2.

• Baller
64" Goode 9700 has taken my son from 26 -15 (4' 6", 65 lbs) to 36 -22 (5' 6" 105 lbs) and is not holding back his progress. Reflex (with 3 boot/liner changes) + RTP + has taken him from size 5 to size 10 1/2 on both his trick and his slalom.

• Baller

With kids that grow each year, it is tough to beat Wiley bindings. Each year I send both jump bindings, front and rear slalom bindings, and two trick bindings (hand & toe ski) 6 binding total. They replace all the rubber and size them to his correct size and send them back. Usually less than 150.00 with freight included. Send them in late Feb or early March so there is no rush. Best deal going on bindings and they fit the way they are supposed to. Wiley had to replace his jump bottom plate hardware, and they asked him how long he had the bindings. The plates were marked in size XXS, XS, S, M, and L. My son laughed and said about 8 or 9 years. The hardware had gone from his first jump of 34 feet to over 165 feet. Pretty good value. They replaced them with Pro Jump Bindings and gave him a great deal. The guys at Wiley are great to work with.

We stayed off the hard shell stuff till his foot stopped growing. I don't think his performance suffered any. Now he is in a EXO Form set up and loves them for the comfort. Performance did not really go up with the switch to a hard shell. Tricks near 6000 slalom mid -38@36mph and jumps 180 plus

• Baller

All good stuff so far! Keep it coming!!!

FYI - just bought my boy some jumpers. XL Wiley's on them. Had them resized. Great service! I didn't think that as he grows, we can send them back again! Looks like those bindings will last him a good long while now!

Does anyone have experience with the new RadaR junior ski (Total RadaR Awesomeness)?

http://www.rideradarronix.com/2013_radar_brochure/ (see page 38-39)

• Baller_

I think you could go to a 62 or 63 of the right ski. The D3 RCX in 62 works great for kids that size at 24-30, and all the way up to 100-110 lbs once they get to 34. You should be able to find one on ski it again very reasonable. (And I'm a proponent of when in doubt, go bigger). The fusion is also a good choice - but if you're spending more $$, go to a 63 or 64".

Don't skimp on the bindings. Get one that fits fairly snuggly, or he will not have the confidence to push the ski. If you have to re-size every year or 2, that's a small price. Wiley's will work with you to re-size.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller

Thanks to this thread, a local friend has offered to let my son try a 64" D3 RC. We'll see if that works for him.

FYI - he used to be on an HO Judge 61". He took a couple of OTF falls when he got his shoulders a little ahead of his bindings coming out of the turn and when the slack would hit. That's when we put him on the 65" Connelly Concept that he is on now. About a month ago, I let him take a ride on my older 66.5" D3 X5. It is funny that 1.5" of ski length looked so much longer. Comparing the newer skis to that old Connelly, they have more surface area at the same length. You can see they are a bit wider. Also, they are substantially lighter. So, going from an old-school 65" to a new-school 64" shouldn't be a significant change in surface area...

Any more recommendations for bindings or ski models?