Congratulations to Greg Badal for another successful Diablo Shores ProAm

Horton

• Baller
Regardless of how I skied, I had a blast there. We need about 6 more of those tournaments a year around the country. THAT is the way to do it. I talked to half a dozen people that had no clue what was going on. They saw signs that said waterski event and just drove up to see what was going on. That's cool.

• Baller
Before any major event like this, just simply grab a local TV or Radio personality and offer to give them a free lesson in skiing (grab a boom if needed). Anything to get them talking about their experience learning. Then, make sure they promote the event in their dialog.

• Baller
I highly recommend a trip out sometime, Than. It's wayyy cool. Freaking intimidating the first time, though. The way the running orders worked out, I was the next skier off the dock after Badal. In the 2nd round, I was next off the dock after Ristorcelli. Talk about climax/anticlimax for the spectators. LOL. And there are actual spectators. You can hear the announcers while you're skiing. And when you fall, you hear them talking crap about you and how you choked as you're making the swim to shore or walk of shame back to the dock. Or maybe that was just me! Horton and Downtown Matt Brown told me in advance it's hard to ski there. Not from conditions, IMO. But cause you overthink it! I completely psyched myself out. The interesting thing is T-Gas runs 3 @41 in qualifying. I hear him telling someone he got nervous when he was in the water.

• Baller

@ShaneH Although I am fully capable of choking in any given situation, I'm usually fairly immune to being intimidated. I've had quite a few rounds over the years where I was right before or right after Jamie B, and some of those were quite good. (Others weren't. My consistency isn't great, but it doesn't seem to be correlated with much.)

I'm sure I would have an absolute blast even if I skied like total crap, but my best guess is it's at least a few years away before I could really justify the time (and to a lesser extent the cost).

• Baller

Its my favorite event of the year. The combination of Pro/MM/Am and spectators makes it so great. Greg and Debbie get a lot of support from local volunteers to help put the event on so its always running without a hitch. The webcast guys and announcers are awesome. Anyone on the fence about coming next year, do it, you wont be disappointed.

I have had the opportunity to be the boat webcast camera guy in the OM finals last few years and that's always interesting. Watching the way the skiers interact, who picks what boat, who talks sh*t, who is nervous and who is focused. One highlight: I was in Wills boat in the final pairing. He seemed like the most focused guy in the event. So calm and so dialed in. He was so pumped for the win it felt special to be within a few feet of him when he was throwing his fist. Congrats Willy!

I cant wait for next year

• Baller

What I found interesting was the strategy with the OM guys. You would think that a guy like Nate, sponsored by Nautique, would pick the nautique over the MC when he was the higher seed. But that didn't happen. Skiing 1st seems to have meant more than choice of boat and a chance at a WR bonus from your sponsor.

Wills speech on the podium was pretty awesome, too.

• Baller

Klundell, yes in the finals

Shane, I talked to Nate about that. He chose to go first because he wanted to get at least 2a41 and make Larkin get to 3 ball. Agreed, those guys are focused on winning, not records. Being the higher seed is definitely an advantage, and the strategy is specific to each match up.

Greg will kill me for suggesting this, but what if we could manage mics on the dock and at the ends of the lake so everyone could hear. Some of the guys choose to keep their card close to their chest and others talk openly

• Baller

Greg and Debbie you were both amazing!!! You seem so calm and simply there to keep everything running smoothly during the whole tournament. You both can dance too that is always an awesome part of the tournament as well :D Thank you for putting on the best tournament of the year every year. You are both pretty special in this water-ski community and for promoting the sport the way you do. I can't even imagine how much the two of you sponsor the tournament with your own family, friends and funds! The award you presented to Bob LaPoint meant a lot to him as well as all of us for the work he has done to the support water-skiing. The announcing was awesome and I can't wait to watch the webcast I have been hearing it was awesome... Richelle did a fantastic job of keeping people in the right places at the right times as well:)

I agree Bishop that was a rush being in the boat with all the Pro's for the Head 2 Head. I always assumed they talked a lot of smack and as I watched they were all very focused and obviously dialed in.

Speaking of being nervous, I sure was.... I was on the dock with "The Krista" (She is so sweet) and both of us were wondering why we put all this pressure on ourselves? We do it because we all love it no matter how many rounds you have to do to get a good one:)

Next year we should all bring a couple of friends and make this the biggest tournament of the year! It is worth it as every year Boody and I are there we have so much fun meeting new people and talking to all the Pro's! And watching the Pro-Women is one of my highlight as they are all freaking amazing:D