dowel removal strap-style gloves

6balls

• Baller

I've never understood why anyone would want to remove the dowel. I've been using clincher-style gloves for 10+ years and have never had a problem of not being able to release the handle. If you remove the dowel, dont you lose the benefit of the strap?

Garn

• Baller

@6balls If you are absolutely certain that you won't miss the dowels, then you can cut off the extra strap. Leaving the extra strap there is just recommended for those experimenting with what the gloves would be like without the dowels in case they want to put the dowels back in. The straps still can work without the dowels, but not as well.

Like @Garn, I too have never had a problem releasing the handle ... other than the problem of having to release it too often. But today I had a different problem. I popped the handle by accident, and the way the dowel released felt like it broke the two knuckles nearest my fingertips of the two fingers behind the dowel. They are really sore right now.

• Baller
Ski with the dowel and then try it without it. Just push the dowel out, don't remove the strap material. I know 5 or 6 guys that take the dowel out, including me. If the gloves are sized right, the web material provides a nice trap for the handle without the dowel. You should not be able to straighten your fingers if the gloves are the right size. At least, that was what I was told years ago by someone who had worn them forever..

I had 2 pair of masterline prolocks and like the fit of glove w/o dowel. Ordered a new pair of prolocks in August and the strap was over one inch longer than previous two pairs. Couldn't use them without dowl. Called Masterline and they said most liked longer strap. I sold them to a friend and ordered Radar Vice which I now think is a much betted glove.

• Baller

For years I removed the Dowel from the hand that faced UP...Seems like it would only hang up during a Tournament....Leave the material there, it helps with the grip.

That was with Clinchers...I now use Goode Clinchers that have a smaller Dowel...In the last three years have never had a problem, so I leave the Dowel in.

• Baller

I've run clinchers for many years, went thru some pro-locs, and now on Radar Vice which is the highest quality strap glove I have used. I don't get hung up frequently, and sometimes it's just for a moment...always on the offside. I have had it happen with rarity with all of these gloves. The better I am at keeping the handle the more likely it is to happen, and I'm finding keeping the handle late is one of the keys at 38 off.. Years ago I lost a smokin 35 off at 36 mph at 5 ball in a tourney.

Yesterday, I took one dowel out and left one in for a set and a half to see the difference. When I grabbed the handle on the back platform I thought the non-dowel was not going to be ok but turns out it was fine.

I lost a beautiful 38 yesterday at 5 ball from the hand that had the dowel, as two-handing 5 ball doesn't work at that length. Took the remaining dowel out and ran it. Just took them out of the spare pair as well...heading to a tourney and last thing I need is a momentary glove hang up if I get a nice 38 going...yet to run one in a tourney.

THanks all for advice, will leave the extra material in place.

• Baller

The release problem goes away if you put some sort of rubber band to keep the strap from flapping and sticking to the handle. Alaska Brent uses Orings. I make up a rubber band fron an old racing bicycle innertube. A wrap of electrical tape works in a pinch too. Just keep the strap against the base of your fingers and it is easy to release the grip.

Regarding the dowels, They do increase grip strength a bit. But there is a lot of help from the webbing itself so you will notice grip enhancement from a dowelless glove. Just push the dowels out the sides without much cutting. They are in pretty tight so you will have to use a smaller dowel if you want to push a new one in. Plus just the material at the ends gives some dowel effect. I'm not sure I'd cut the webbing too much, things might come loose. But a little wetsuit glue and maybe you can get a straight glove that protects a bit against blisters.

Goode clinchers are sweet - but mine are attached to that darn vest. Which goes on that weak fragile body. Masterlines work quite well but have too many straps to cinch. I haven't tried the Radars (doesn't Zippy owe me a pair to try?). I will always slalom (and jump) with a dowel enhanced grip.

Eric