O'Neill Psycho 3

bhs

• Baller
No experience with that particular one but as I recall the Psycho suits are big dollars. I switched from a baggy suit to a standard O'Neill 3/4mm full wetsuit and it easily does the job well into water temps in the upper/mid 40's. Baggy suit has not been used since and I think this particular wetsuit was only about 160 bucks. I believe it's this one http://www.wetsuitwearhouse.com/page/WW/2738

@bhs Spend the extra money. They're worth every penny. With the Psycho 2 and the Freak we can ski all winter in the UK, comfortably, and the Psycho 3 looks even better. Water temp down to 2 degrees celcius, that's mid 30s to most of you. They're so flexible they don't restrict your movements. We only stop skiing if the lake ices over.

• Baller

I have a 4/3 and a fun bag, and I much prefer the fun bag. The 4/3 will keep me warm when skiing, but can be chilly when I'm out of the water. When I'm done skiing I just zip out of the dry suit and I'm fully clothed - unlike the 4/3. Last spring I skied on a public lake and changing in and out of the 4/3 in the boat was a real bummer. I also enjoy leaving the dry suit "inflated" to assist in deep water starts.

• Baller
@jipster43 do you have the 4/3 psycho or a regular 4/3. The psycho is supposed to be that real stretchy, pliable "technobutter" material. I guess it's a lot different then a "wetsuit" at least that's what I'm trying to find out.

• Baller
@bhs not sure on how cold of water youre going to be in, but I use and recommend you the Oneill Heat 4/3....Wileys sells them for 259. Its got a one sided seam weld that doesnt let water in and makes a huge difference. The psycho is sealed on both sides I think and also has a more flexible neoprene. But for slalom skiing Id say the Heat is plenty stretchy enough and its a lot cheaper than the Psycho. It may even be a little more durable. Ive had it a couple years and its holding up great. Ive used it in water down to the upper 40s so far and been fine. A rash guard under it can give you extra warmth if you need it as well.

@bhs Actually the Psycho I wear the most is a 2mm all over. That's good down to mid 40s, but I believe it's not made any more. It's so flexible I really don't know I'm wearing a wetsuit. The Psycho 2 that I was talking about is a 4/3 I've had for 4 years. Most sets very little water gets in, even after a decent crash. I can do a triple set, 18 passes dropping in each end, in any water temp. I do agree with @jipster43 about getting cold standing around between sets. That's why I have several suits. This sport cost us thousands a year, a few hundred dollars to stay comfortable doesn't seem too much. Whilst on the subject of staying warm, my sets were limited to how long I could put up with the pain of cold hands wearing slalom gloves. I started wearing O'neill 1.5mm neoprene gloves. At first it felt like I couldn't get a decent grip on the handle, the gloves were bunching up and almost pulling off my hands. Many people feel this way about these gloves I believe. After about the third set I began to realise that if I couldn't grip well enough in these gloves it was because I was loading the line too much. After a few more sets I found I was consistently skiing on a much lighter line. When the water warmed up again I was reluctant to go back to slalom gloves. In April I was back skiing in shorts, and rubber gloves. Not a cool look. The best I've ever skied is 4@ -35. With the neoprene gloves on I got 3@ -35 on several occasions so they can't be so bad to ski in when you get used to them.

I'd recommend trying the gloves, maybe you can extend your ski season a month each way.