skis for big guys!

Live2ski

• Baller

Just finished second season on my 68 radar strada - 28s easy and 32 most sets - all at 55.

looking to see what a new ski might offer. Looking at the manufacturers sites it seems that I may be on too small a ski for 55 - I am 6,4 and 220lbs. I really want to get into 35 and reckon that a bigger ski may help out with consistency.

Are there any short line heavier guys out there with an opinion on this. I am liking the look of the orange strada although understand i may have to wait a bit for a 69. thinking seriously about an HO S3 as it is a bit wider (and doesnt cost as much as the nano 1).

The only "big" pros in the 6'4, 6'5 category are 210 tops (cant believe that CP is only 210!) and ski at 58 so can t really use them as bench marks.

really appreciate your thoughts,

Kevin

• Baller

Im 6'1" but a bit heavier than you (won't own up to the number) and frustraitingly consistent at 4-4.5 @35. Goode Mid's 66 work great. Nano and 9960 for the stiffer flex. Goode regulars seem a little small, for us a long 67 they just make stiff. Word is the big boy Nano1 still needs work. The AM 69 is in progress, hopefully mid-October according to Andy. I am going to give a 68 Sans Rival a try this weekend. Best ski for me ever was the 68 Fisher so Sans looks promising.

BTW, make you a great deal on a 66" left Nano Mid Twist in great shape. Incredible ski when it's good, but when its not.... This pilot tried to fix the pilot but just inconsitent with that plane so looking for something else.

• Baller

Thanks @Chef23 and @MS as you can probably tell I know the 68 strada should be fine but its that time of year when I have the cash and am itching for a new toy!

@BRY very helpful info, I am RFF and in the Uk so your kind offer of the nano twist probably won't work.

Great to know that us "heavier than the average bears" can be consistent at shorter lines. I really think that planing surface has to play a part esp. at 55 when gravity is having way more effect on us as we slow than on the average 150guy. this is why i was asking re: the HOS3 - as it has a wider tail taper it should keep us up a bit more, I was interested to know if anyone of the requisite weight had experience of this.

As an aside I learn alot from watching the pros on youtube - Are there any 220+ pros to watch? :)

Live2, I am 6.3, and only 192, but I like bigger skis. I have had great luck on my 2012 69" triumph in the course at low speeds. Last Monday I demoed a 67.5 s2 at bow lake, and I loved it. It surprisingly skied me down to 26mph in the course, and I ran a full pass on my second pass. It felt like it supported me almost as good as the triumph in the course at the lower speeds, plus I could tell it was just oosing with performance potential. I have been known to pull the trigger too soon on skis that are too advanced for me, but I just ordered a new 2012 close out s2 anyway. I honestly do not think I am making a mistake. Am I crazy? I Hope not. It also felt super stable and user friendly. Wish me luck.

• Baller
I am currently about 215 and I ski a 66" Goode Mid Fire and it is plenty of ski. I run mid 35 pretty regularly. I would say I am on the heavy side of skiers that can run 32 off based on what I see at tournaments. I am only about 6' tall so I am not as lean as you are at 6'4". I do think I need to get lighter to run 35 consistently and that is my plan for the winter.

• Baller

@bogboy looks like you are in the ascendency - hope it goes well on the new stick.

@chef23 thanks for the "lean" comment. Never really thought I had a weight issue ( other than when trying to get height kiteboarding) but watching all these lighter guys ripping without troubling ZO is what started me thinking. Body fat is a 14-16% so don't really anticipate dropping any weight during the winter, in fact with P90x will probably gain a bit - bring on the bigger ski!

Live2ski, at 220 pounds I would suggest trying a 69.5' Strada. I think the bigger ski will definitely help you if you want to run 35.

I am 6'3" and last year weighed in the 225 range. I switched from a 68.75 A1 to a 69.5 Strada about mid-season and then started running 35s in tournaments. With the bigger ski I found that it was alot easier to carry speed through the turns and I was able to ski alot lighter. I lost about 20-25 pounds over the winter (Insanity program by Beachbody) but stayed on the 69.5 Strada and have run more 35s this year than I ever have before. I know there is a big push to go to smaller skis but I am not drinking that Koolaid.

• Baller
@Live2ski weight certainly makes a difference when skiing behind ZO but technique plays a difference as well. With ZO you need to be patient let the ski finish the turn and wait for the boat to pick you up. If you do that with a good stacked position ZO won't hurt you in fact it will help you get width. If you tend to force it and jump on the pull ZO will kill you. I have been told that I feel surprisingly light behind the boat for someone my size. I think part of that comes from not being in very good shape when I started skiing again (I weighed as much as 242) if I didn't just stack on the ski behind the boat I couldn't hold on to anything.

• Baller

BRY -

If live2ski doesn't bite?

I have been thinking about a Goode WR or a mid LFF -

I am about your size but old - geezer in fact.........

Just switched to both feet in to start for short lake set ups and have a problem for a split second -sometimes of putting too much weight on my front foot too soon out of old habit - ski dives and it's o v e r.

So, I was thinking about the Goodes or 68" D-3 Z-7 or the O'Brien quattro (if they had hung in there).

Anyway, if it doesn't sell shoot me some pictures and a price.

Otisg at optimumdotnet

• Baller
At 225lbs. I rode the 69.5 Strada. It is a big ski, but I had no trouble turning it. This was the 2012 model. If you are a very still skier, it works really well. If you move around you get a squirrelly ride. Don't know what that's about. I only ride these skis if for demoing only, as I have no desire to spend $1000 plus for a slalom ski. I would be very curious to see how the new 2013 Strada rides. They are looking real good on other skiers thus far.

• Baller
A 68" ski can handle someone 235 lbs at 34 mph. Probably easily at 36 mph. I have found skis longer than this a little on the stiff side for 35 off or shorter. They don't turn nearly as quick when scrambling. When setup to turn they aren't as good behind the boat and vice versa.

• Baller

@otisg - left the Goode at the lake, 2hrs away, so won't have pictures till the weekend (I'm a weekend warrior) but will send you some then.

The 68 Sans Rival is quite different from the Goode Nano. Both plenty of ski for 220+ at 55K. The Sans Rival made -28 feel like -25 and -32 feel like -30. Didn't feel fast but was plenty fast. Very easy to get wide, particularly on the pull out. Feels like your crusing slow in a Lexus but in reality going like a turbo Porsche. I take a while to get used to ski's usually, but back-to-back 28's and 32's in 64 degree water by end of weekend. Didn't run a 35 but didnt try many, felt good though. Only 4 sets in but feel it will take me shorter as it seems to make it easier (I just have to stop making it harder). Better fit for me.

• Baller

BRY - The better-half pointed out that I gave you the wrong address - should have been otisgatoptonlinedotnet.

When ever you have time......

We're going to Seth's second week in October will try one and some others there and see where I end up.

Best,

O

• Members

Live 2-I am 6'-2" and 220.I can give you decent feedback on some the large Goode's.

I usually ski into deep 38 and sometimes 39.

As has been mentioned here before the goodes run a little longer than advertised.

I had a few 66 widerides early on but I use a wileys front with rear toe and you need at

least a front hardshell to make the WR work.

The 67.25traditionals feel a little small.Easy to get in deep in the turns and not exit cleanly.

The 66 nano mid also felt a little small.Better in the turns than the traditional 67.25

but not quite as good across course.

The 70.25 nano trad. was great as long as you stayed ahead and maintained control.

Once you get behind it was hard to turn at speed.Especially in a tailwind.

Would be a great ski for someone who weighed 240-260.

The 68.5 nano trad. is one of the better fits I have found for my weight,ability,and binding choice.I also liked the 68.5 9800 I used for a while.This ski seems to turn well enough and allows you to have less load out of the buoy and across course which helps with the ZO monster.

Out of the above Goode's my suggestion would be the 68.5 trad.for 220 lbs 32-35 off.It is hard to not load the line/ski off the buoy when you weigh what we do and a ski that is too small won't help you learn to crush 35.

• Baller

You might consider a 69 Sixam 2pt. Dirt cheap, yet has the same high dollar core as the Elite. VERY similar to the ski Parrish had at Diablo last weekend. Other candidate would be the SS in 69 (green bottom) I rode both from INT wide ride @30 thru 34-32 and at 58k when I was a little bigger. Got out of the 200 club and 66 Goode Wide works well.