Calipers Arrrgh!

Stevie Boy

• Baller

I know the answer is to use the same calipers all the time, but I have three sets, two digital, one Goode Slot Digital, in my experience calipers can be tempremental, and pack up in a moment, you know when you turn them on and there is nothing,with a bit of moisture here and there, cold here and there, etc.

Have been trying to set my N1 up and have measured the ski fin with all three sets, I cannot believe they are not anywhere close to one another, the only measurement coming up the same is length with tips.

Which brings me to the point when somebody picks up your ski, measures it and declares, it,s not where it should be.

If it,s working nobody is measuring it, any tips on how to store or transport your calipers, to protect them from temp or humidity, etc ?

• Baller

I keep my calipers in their original case with a number of those little desiccant packs from vitamin bottles thrown in to soak up the humidity. I also keep a spare battery in the case, and have never had a problem.

The real answer to this question is to buy quality. You get what you pay for with calipers, and most of the cheap stuff (which still isn't that cheap at around $100) is garbage. Mitutoyo Absolute Coolant Proof, model IP67, order number 500-753-10* is entry-level in the realm of excellent calipers. Totally waterproof, smooth, highly accurate and dependable for about $225.

But if you tend to drop your tools, the $85 calipers are the answer.

• Baller

I've got a set of Starrett dial calipers in my desk at work. No thank you...they are tempermental and fall apart all the time. I'll take my harbor freight calipers over the Starrett anyday.

Caliper brand name aside, consistency is the key here. You should be using the same calipers every time. If I ever make a change, I know that I should double check my baseline first because my methods can change and something could've knocked the fin out of place. I even put scribe lines on the ski and fin so I know that I'm always using the same line and angle when measuring. When you switch calipers, you are switching standards. If you put the end of 4 different calipers up against the back of the ski for DFT, you're likely to get different numbers because the back of the ski is angled and the calipers aren't going to be the same thickness and width. A tall (top to bottom at the depth side) caliper will sit further back/up on the skis tail angle which will give you a longer DFT reading. Maybe one has a slightly sharper corner on it and another is slightly rounded making another few thousandsth. If you put both perpindicular to a surface and measure depth, I bet they will be the same.

• Baller_

I have had my Starrett tools for over 40 years along with numerous other Starrett measurement instruments such as dial indicators, calipers, micrometers and inside bore micrometer's in my machinist box, how can mechanical be temperamental? Also if one looks at the accuracy of the cheap Harbor freight stuff or budget measurement devices their consistency and accuracy can vary. So that means the fin measurements that gets thrown out their from someone may be quite a bit off from what another utilizes with their budget brand device and low battery!

I will keep my precision instruments thank you!