prop puller

JAG

• Baller

End of season here in MI so want to pull the prop on my MB Sports 190. Dumb question but is there a place that would rent the puller? I just want to have the OJ four blade reconditioned so seems a waste to buy a puller for one use.

thanks,

RPG

First of all, I can't believe it is the end of the season, and why did Michigan get so cold so fast? I just got lessons last week and I need to practice dang it!

Second, @rpg, where abouts are you? I'm in Clarkston and have one if you are near by. Then again, if you were near by I'm pretty sure Skier's Pier will rent/loan them.

• Baller_
The prop can be removed without a puller as noted by using a piece of wood and tapping it off that way. But, it sounds like you might have not played with the prop for several years, or the prop has been on the shaft for a long time and is on there pretty tight. If this is the case, the prop will be very difficult to remove and a puller will be the most effective and best way to remove it without damaging it. I might consider loosening the nut (assuming it is a good nyloc one) and popping it in reverse a couple of times (in the water) to loosen the prop from the shaft.

• Baller

Call Acme Props and ask for their ◦ harmonic puller

It's kind of like a cap nut. You remove your cotter key and prop nut then thread the harmonic puller on in place of the prop nut. Hit the end of the harmonic puller with the hammer and the prop is instantly loose. This is by far the easiest and safest way to remove the prop. I've even done it in the water!!!! I think it cost about $30

• Baller

thanks so much everyone. I'm in the Farmington Hills area. Our lake is in the Irish Hills (Lake LeAnn). Season sort of came to a halt when one of our members broke his leg 2 Sunday's ago in the course.

Boat is a 2002 MB Sports 190 with 600 hours and the prop has never been off so anticipate it being pretty tight. Just wanted to clean up a couple dings on it over the winter.

Rather than bother you fine folks, let me ask Skier's Pier (they're right around the corner) or Devils Lake Marina (M/C dealer out near our lake) if they have one they can rent.

If not, I'll be more than happy to rent one from you folks if the offer still stands.

Kindest Regards,

RPG