Jeff Rogers / nautique Big Dawg

GregDavis

• Members

"I think he will dominate the Big Dawg series when he is qualified to ski it if he chooses. " someone posted this,

You have got to be kidding, DOMINATE THE BIG DAWG? The big Dawg is a whole different situation. Jeff will be competitive, and we wish him the very best, however, there are 20 other guys, that can spank 39. If you look at the depth of the Big Dawg Skiers, they are the best in the World, and make no mistake about it, eveyone one of them is as competitive as they get.

I spoke with Jeff Yesterday, he is awesome, great skier, good guy, humble, etc. When, and if, Jeff decides to compete in the Nautique Big Dawg World Tour, it will for sure add excitment, but, DOMINATE, I don't think so.

• Baller_
The big dawg has so many rounds where anything can happen. I'm fortunate enough to ski with a regular deep 39 and 41 offer in the late summer. So I asked...why not the BD. At 44 you think that would be about right age for him to try. He's in great shape. Tall and very very consistent. But his response was simply put..."they ski soooooo many times". I think in many ways, the BD is a completely different animal. And very fun to watch.

• Baller
The BD is fast becoming the (semi) pro circuit. Don't get on me about how they all have jobs and all -- I get that. It is just that the BD is an organized, multi-event, annual tour now of some of the best water skiers on the planet. Jeff is definitely one of the best water skiers on the planet. I'd love to count myself in that group, but I better get going on it -- I'm 49 already and not getting younger!

• Baller

It is a very different event, because you have to win so many rounds. The alternative example is the difference between myself and @razorskier1 in the weight room. I have the MN state record and midwest regional title in bench press...we are talking one rep power. Give me almost any gym lift and my low rep, first set power is huge. Take it beyond that and I fall like a stone and it's not just training style...I'm built a certain way out of the box.

Razor1 is built different. He doesn't fatigue despite taking sets to exhaustion...perhaps gets stronger. After a number of sets, I don't want to play with him anymore...if I do I may just find myself looking to hurl.

Skiing is the same way. My first round in a 3 rounder or 6 rounder weekend is usually my best. I fatigue as it goes on and generally ski worse. Razor1 is fresh as a daisy throughout even though I am younger than he is by 9 years. He may post is best in round 6.

The guys who go deep big dawg have got to have the kind of endurance that lets them run high level set after set same day. I'd be toast. This kind of thing factors into the win, and if/when Jeff competes big dawg we will see how he measures up round after round. Amazing skier.

I'm also amazed given relative lack of training that Andy was able to hang in for so many rounds. It was not lost on me, however, that in one round at night Todd's competitor missed his gates and Todd was spared energy expenditure. My guess is every little thing counts at that level.

• Baller

As a spectator, I'm looking forward to seeing Jamie in Big Dawg, too. He's in M3 now, and he sounded interested the last time I spoke with him. He may have to wait a while for his Pro classification to "wear off," though.

Somehow it seems that Big Dawg has become a better spectator thing than pro stops.

• Baller
I sure hope Jamie is not done being a "pro". As a lefty I always love watching him. Wade's back has always been an issue. In some ways 34 may actually be harder on him than 36. That plus the multiple round deal can be hard on you. Would be cool to see him out here though.

• Baller
Whether Jeff ever skis BD or not, he sure is something fun to watch on the water, and his incredible performances are raising the bar for everybody else, BD or otherwise. Haven't talked to Wade in quite a while. Last time he was in MN he had physical issues and wasn't skiing at all. I think he has been biking quite a bit. Super nice guy, and a great coach.