Getting to be season wrap up time for me

sunvalleylaw

• Baller

Kids' school stuff, weather changing, etc. is causing my season to shut down. Maybe a couple/few weeks left. I am recovered from being a bit banged up from my OTF, and ready to have a run or two to close it out. I learned a heck of a lot here this summer. And I learned quite a bit about what I still don't know. And most importantly, I found my drive and thrill in skiing again, and found that yes, I can still improve after all this time. Thanks to all of you for putting up with my questions, etc., for your help, and for your enthusiasm and willingness to share your knowledge and experience. @Horton, thanks so much for working hard to have this place be available.

I hope to close out the year with a pull or two down at Black Butte Ranch, a free skiing day with my kids at the reservoir, and if possible, a visit to the other ski lake that is closer to see if it will be an option for me next year.

Thanks again all!

• Baller
Yep, a little oasis in the middle of the high desert between Twin Falls Idaho and Sun Valley Idaho, near Shoshone. If you didn't know it was there you would be hard pressed to find it. But I am lucky enough to have reconnected with an old friend and become ski partners with him, so I get to go there sometimes.

• Baller
@GAJ0004 -- I live in MN. Last two years my boat and course were in until mid-November. Hoping I get that far again. Now mind you last year I froze my heater and the boat filled with water on the way to the launch, but it didn't sink, so it's all good. Takes me about a full day to get my boat, dock, lift, slalom course and then my little Boston Whaler, dock and lift out. Hope there's a warm day in November where I can get it done! Last year I got home from a business trip on Friday morning, took it all out Friday and on Saturday it snowed.

• Baller

Hoping to ski once/maybe twice in MN before skiwatch which is the last weekend of the month in FL. Pulled my alumacraft, will pull that dock/lift this weekend. Boat trailer for the Centurion is home, will get canopy cover off that lift and hopefully pull Centurion this weekend as well. After skiwatch, will pull the course, the Natique and the remaining two docks/lifts.

Hate to see it all shut down.

• Baller_

We are just getting started on the Fall season here in North Florida. We will ski another two and half to three months before deer point lake is dropped 4-6 feet. Pickos will remain active through out the winter months that gives me a pick and choose days through out the winter months to ski on warmer days.

For me this is the best time of the year to ski. Most all of the weekenders have wrapped it up for the year. the water temp stays at around 80 degrees and day time temps well into the 80's.

Two tournaments left, next weekend at Milton and our Oct Slalom tournament at Pickos.

Will make a number of trips to Tampa this winter and hopefully WPB for some weekend ski excursions.

It only keeps getting better!

• Baller
We pretty reliably get to Halloween here in Natick MA. Drysuitin' it from late September (i.e. now) on. Weather usually doesn't turn nasty until November when all the leaves are off. Not counting this season, 50% of my successful -38s were in October! And that number potentially might climb because I feel I may run it a lot with what's left of this season. (Had one going easily last night but hit a huge roller at 4 and lost my position. Getting deep in pretty bad rollers is totally amazing for me.)

• Baller

You guys are killing me with glass talk @skibrain and @thager!

First year I met one of my ski buds he got busy and didn't pull things in time. In his defense it got real cold real fast. First weekend in November I went deer hunting at -10, came home, warmed up and pulled our duck hunting boat and dock/lift from 2" of crystal clear ice. Emaild buddy about his stuff and after a week of sub zero lows we cut his dock, lifts and pontoon out with chainsaws. Now he pulls on Labor Day which really sucks.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg9/yz125x/Up%20North/iceboat.jpg

• Baller

@rodltg2, we met some friends at Black Butte for a day trip this summer. It was nice for a while, but when that wind came up, it was pretty much time to park it. That's the only time I've been there. Where's your buddy's lake if you don't mind me asking?

• Baller
My water temp gauge doesn't work, but in a drysuit my hands and feet don't hurt yet, even with long sets (16 passes on my second set this morning). Air temp was 51. I'll ski air temp down into the low 40s/upper 30s, and water temp where you lose feeling in your feet during your set. That pretty much puts me somewhere into November most years. Then it's back to the gym until April . . . sad face.

• Baller

Starting to get cooler here in TX, but were good in just shorts for another 3 weeks to a month. Mid to late October, wetsuits, some time in November drysuits... I just don't ski as good in a suit... either wet or dry. Skied 2 weeks too long in a wetsuit this spring, took it off, and instantly improved.

• Baller

I've learned a lot here too and enjoy the site. Thanks Horton. Did more skiing this year than the last several years put together. Hoping to pick it back up next year again.

Cooling off big time here in northern IL, had a couple nights around 40 already. Might get one more run in but probably not. When it's below about 60 my drivers and spotters aren't too keen on it and I don't blame them. River was like glass when I drove over it on the way to work this morning. Oh well, time to enjoy some fall boat rides and do some motorcycling before the snow flies.

• Baller
@Razorskier1. I would ski until Thanksgiving if I did not have to worry about the boat. The lake I ski on has everyone pull their boats by November 1 since they lower the lake. I don't like to leave it out in the cold if it starts to get below 40 degrees. Everything starts to get brittle. Preserving the condition of my boat is more important than getting in another couple weeks of skiing. I can't afford a new boat so this one has to last. I like to have my boat winterized, detailed, and dried out by the time the snow flies. I am lucky to have an insulated and semi-heated garage for it. I work 60 hours a week all winter long so I have to get everything done by the end of October.

Well Northern Hemisphere Ballers, yesterday was my first set of the season in "Down Under NZ" wearing boardies and neo top. Water was 15c and air was the same, so not real warm, but with a brand new SN200 in our club shed, a good friend soon to ZO his Mali and a new "Carbon Carrot" (aka 2013 Strada) on the way, here's hoping for a ripper season and a new PB! You have all provided may hours of reading every day over our winter, which has just built the anticipation and excitement of another ski season............and for that we say Thank You!

• Baller
@GAJ0004 -- yep, gotta keep the boat nice! Mine is 7 years old with 1200 hours and it still looks new. Gets wiped every time it touches the water, never has wet people on the seats without sitting on a shammy, and I detail it inside and out every two years. Upholstery looks great still with the exception of the ski locker doors, which are starting to show their age a bit. Will probably get new skins on those -- this boat has to last a lot longer!

• Baller

@Razorskier My 1994 Nautique has 1642 hours on it. It still looks like new, but the engine cover and coaming pad vinyl is beginning to show its age. Once I get those replaced it will look like new again. If I ever need a new engine I will pay Jody Seal a visit. I had a compression check run on it this spring, and they said everything looked good. Overheating is what kills boat engines. My boat only overheated once due to a bad impeller. I sat out in the middle of the lake for a few minutes let it cool off and idled her back to the lift and put in a new impeller. I wipe mine down after every ski outing, wax monthly, and detail yearly before putting it away. I have so much wax on mine you can make the back end slide back and forth while on the trailer if you push the boat with your shoulder.

• Baller
It's getting close to the end of our season here in the Midwest (central Illinois). Terrible wind today and cold so no boating today. Next week it's supposed to be in the upper 70's so hope to get some sets in next week. Haven't matched my PB this year, but I I'd meet a goal of being more consistent. Here's to hoping the consistency will translate to great things next year!!!

Just skied a pb this morning, 5 @ 22 off 34mph in a small chop.Happy to gain 6 balls this year but would like to complete the pass. Boats will stay on the lifts until the end of day light savings then there is no point as it is dark after work. The lake rarely freezes here in Victoria Canada, the lifts and course stays in year around.

• Baller

I skied really well this morning 3@32 off with an 8 mph wind out of the south, so I would have a tailwind when northbound in the course. The waves were 4 inches high and some whitecaps. The water temp here is 66 degrees, and the air is in the 60's. I am at Lake Latonka for the weekend. It is supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow. I have switched to wearing my drysuit. Today was the first time I skied in it. Went swimming in it to replace some missing gate buoys on our course. I have my drysuit laid out on the driveway. I have been painting contact cement on the seams in an attempt to stop some leaks.

• Baller

Wow, nice week Dave!

I skied like a total spaz today. Almost never in the position I wanted to be in, and couldn't drive my hip forward out of my off-side to save my life. Was really frustrated coming off the water, and then about an hour later I realized getting to 4 at -38 would have counted as a pretty darned good day last year.

So I (and my ski) seem to have gotten better. Strange how it's still not fun to suck...

• Baller
@than hoping it translates south as Jim and I head for skiwatch tourney in FL later this week...I know how fleeting that purple can be having felt like I have it figured only to slump many times. Certainly we are in for a big water temp change as well. In any case, will have fun.