Change is good for your skiing.

Horton

• Administrators

If you have tournaments left this year or your ball count every ride is important to you => disregard this thread

I am having the best ski year of my life. Why? Beats the heck out of me. The one thing that has been constant in the last few years is changing skis. I hear it all the time “You would ski so much better if you stayed on one ski”. Maybe this is true but I am starting to think it is the opposite.

This year I have seriously skied on Vice, S2, N1 and Rogue plus a few rides each on SansRival, A2 and Prophecy. Each one makes me aware of a different aspect of my skiing. Each one requires a slightly different focus. Besides changing skis I also took 5 or 6 sets at 35 mph getting ready for Soaked.

I think that simply changing things up and making a point to adapt to different skiing situations has sharpened my skills.

I think it is good to just change things up. If you do not have a different ski to ride for a weekend or two, speed up the boat or use a very different ZO setting. Slow the boat down and run a line length you have never made. Whatever.

The idea is to change things and then try to ski as smooth as possible. If this totally screws up your skiing or sends you to the ER I apologize.

Goode  KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki ★ Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I agree. I slowed the boat down and ran up into 39 1/2 off a month or so ago. The last week, at your suggestion I've been running different ZO settings. And shortening the wait timer, too. Yesterday was my best set ever.

This goes hand in hand with something Charles told a Big Dawg skier this summer, who was stuck in a rut. He told him to quit going 32, 35, 38, 39, 41 every set. Instead, vary it up. Go out at 32, then up to 38, 39, 41. Next set, go out at 28 and opt up to 35, opt to 39, 41. Next set go 32, 39, 41. Something, anything so that he didn't continue to see the same thing over and over. And so that when he got to a tournament, he would know he'd successfully skied every combination that was possible. Look at Jeff Rogers doing double opt ups in tournaments to get the wind and sun conditions he wants.

• Baller

I tend to run at least one set a day straight down the line because I know I'll have to at tournament time. Second set is usually something different. Typically a bunch of -32, or mixing up between -32 and -35. Today my first set was straight through 28, 32, 35, then 38 just had my number. Couldn't seem to ge my gate quite right and after 3 tries I just went back to 35 and ran five of them. Second set I went out at -35 and stayed there. Ran 12 of them and called it a day. I never wait on the ends. I drop, boat comes around, line tight, ski.

Thought about running a different ZO setting (typical is C2, was going to try A2). Decided against it. Maybe tomorrow . . .

• Baller

Ya know, John, I was just thinking this about your skiing. I almost feel like the S2 taught you how to run 38 and the N1 made you believe you could do it every time. Then get on a cheaper ski and -- hey -- you can still run 38. Because you know how.

The problem with this I've mentioned a few times: If you keep getting better, we can't correlate your scores to the ski you are reviewing!!

• Baller

I agree with Horton's theory. I spent about a month on the Fusion in May. After a terrible tournament I went back to my 9900. I realized that the 9900 worked better for me, but didn't like how it was set up. I made some massive fin changes and had a very good summer after.

Shane is correct about changing up your sets and passes as well. Many of us have in mind that our "4th pass" is going to be the hard one. It sounds crazy, but start at the next shorter line length and you may find yourself running your "3rd pass" easily.

• Baller

Agree with @OB on lakes and @Mr. Jones on starting at a different line. I mostly start at -28 and that puts -38 at the 4th pass. A few weeks ago on the weekend I started my first set at -28 and didn't run the -38. Second set started at -32, ran -38. I think I sort of fooled myself by changing the routine.

I am fortunate that I do ski on a public lake (750 acres, deep and clear) Monday-Friday and a private site on the weekends. On my lake I'm usually on my course, which has pre-gates. However, sometimes because of wind I am on a friend's course with no pre-gates. On my lake I'm behind a 2005 MC 197 with zbox, on the private site behind a Malibu (either a TXi or an LXi) with ZO. I definitely think the variety helps.