Ski Test Nano One Review PREVIEW

Horton

• Administrators

I am getting emails asking for the off the record N1 review. So below are my current thoughts. I will try to refine this and add some other details for the official review. I reserve the right to change my mind about some this.

My review will say something like:

The N1 is a slow ski but it does not feel like a slow ski. It is not a lot of work and it makes a lot of space at the ball. I understand this is totally counter intuitive. Maybe slow is not the right word. I will think about this a lot before I write the final / official review.

The N1 requires that you have at least a semi aggressive gate. You need to generate more speed earlier than most other skis. Once you get into a pass this takes care of itself but it is critical at the gate.

Once in the pass the N1 gets plenty wide and does so easily.

The N1 seems less effected by forward and backward shifts of weight than most other skis. The N1 always turns not matter what you do. It is as if you can not screw it up.

When you get to the pass that where you start making a lot of mistakes the genius of the N1 comes out. It is supremely forgiving.

The N1 is not the ski that you generally run the most technically perfect passes on. I do not seem to be able to ski as flowing as I can on other skis. (Maybe this is setup - I will work on this when I get back on the N1) I do not know if skiers with pro level technical skills will benefit from this ski as much as skiers like myself.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@Mr.Jones

I will be very curious to hear your feedback.

For everyone who does not know Mr.Jones, his skills are far better than average. For sure way better than mine.

I think there is some truth to the idea that skiers with the most technical skills often excel on skis with a super small margin of error - skis that do amazing things but only if the skier is nearly perfect.

I now this is not always true - Nate Smith rides a ski that is very forgiving.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

"The N1 seems less effected by forward and backward shifts of weight than most other skis"

Not from what I've seen - if you move to the front of this ski in the preturn, it will track inward in a very aggressive manner. Handle control off the 2nd wake is a must.

• Administrators

@jdarwin

Where are your bindings? As long as I do not go easy into the gates I seem to get wide super easy on both sides.

That is the one thing I have to admit - I have not moved fin or bindings at all on this ski. I took the wing off for some crazy hot water but that is it. I was bone stock until United Airlines bent my fin about 20 degrees and cracked that tail of the ski. (back on new N1 in a few weeks)

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton - I'm not riding one but the dozen or so folks I've seen ride it have experienced this. That said, my opinion of the ski is that it will allow 2-3 more mistakes in a pass and still get you out the end. I don't think it will add 2 or 3 buoys to your score but it will allow you to stumble thru to your average. Once they get the bevels, flex and rocker on the larger version figured out, I'll try one.

I skied one set on a friends N1 the other day and have to admit like the other goode i skied one set on last year (mid twist nano) the thing is awesome!! I weigh 180lbs ski 34mph deep into -35.The N1 worked well for me everywhere in the course as long as i stayed relaxed and didnt jump on the front of it. This was my 3rd set of the day and my best set of the day by 2 bouys. Not sure this is a fair review as i only skied one set on it in perfect conditions? i think skiing it more in diff conditions would help a guy like me decide if its worth 2K for a blank. Oh yeah i forgot to mention if my wife ever found out i spent 2K on a blank i would be looking for a new place to live!! Im the guy who buys a slightly used ski off of ski it again skies it for 2 or 3 seasons then repeats the process. JMHO

• Baller

I have not ridden the N1 but I will try one when the larger size is ready. This ski does not seem to fit everyone (nor does any ski) but I have seen several skiers look great on it. Two local skiers that look great on it are Rich Storlee and Johnny Haw. I have a couple pics of Storlee from the Sunday Tournament at Bel Aqua.

df29ae1daa2f53aa5612134054aadc.jpg

b74d2d2ebfa25a6caf0fddef100b9e.jpg

• Baller
My nano experience isn't awful, but hasn't helped me and my style. I'm a bit of an overturner by nature. I've tried many set ups and some are better and some are worse. the ski for me doesn't carry width and turns very hard. Thru 35 felt like a lot of work, 38 felt impossible. Went back to my old standby and scrapped an ugly 38. I was amazed how well the ski turned, but in the end, it doesn't seem to help as much as I had hoped. I'm glad to hear so many people are skiing well on it, as we all need to keep buying gear to keep the world economy growing.

• Baller

Thanks @ShaneH, Kim says the shorts look sweet (but she is the only one who's said that)! Thanks for posting the pics @Dirt. Great skiing BTW.

Kim got a LFF and a RFF Nano One, she is a LFF skier. She skis into 35 off on a good day. After extensive testing, the RFF was the clear winner, which is weird.

I was on the Nano One for 3 weeks. I generally agree with about all of @Horton post, but I DO think its a lot of work. But I was/am on a mid twist, so the Nano One was a big difference in speed and turn. Coming off of a traditional shape ski, I might not have noticed such a significant difference.

• Baller

@skijay there is a big difference between 36 & 34. I don't buy the one size fits all marketing.

That was the only size tested and ready for mass production.

I used to ski on a 67 D3 Custom X at 36 mph 230 ish. 34 mph was a nightmare.

@Boody It sounds like your experience with the N1 was exactly like mine. I was on a mid nano twist and I have to agree the N1 felt like a lot of work in comparison. I didn't really lose any buoys (scrapped quite a few 38's) but after two weeks and several settings on the N1 I went back to the nano twist mid and was very happy with my decision. My wife got the N1 and looks great on it!

• Baller
Ah I,m starting to like it, I,ve had to add length to the fin, as well as a little bit of depth and I,m starting to feel the ski and think the ski is starting to feel me, it,s taken quite a few sets, I,m pretty sure its a keeper, like all things that are different, to the norm, you are going to have to persist to get the best out of it, it,s no different to somebody skiing on a wide ride, wanting to go back to a standard width ski , you are going to have to give it some time to adjust.

• Administrators
I have been on and off a lot of skis this year. I got back on the N1 last week and equaled my PB last weekend. I still do not understand it but darn it I can run some balls on that thing. It is just easy.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

working on the review tonight. Holy crap this document may kill me. Can't I just say "I equaled my personal best the first time I rode the NANO ONE " or "If there was a Ski of the Year Award it would clearly go to the Goode NANO ONE for 2012."?

Crap some one else needs to do reviews next year. If I only trusted any of you... Never mind./

Drop a dime in the can