San Diego Skiing

guitarcarr

• Baller
It's called "Mission Impossible Bay" for a reason. There aren't times where the tides keep you from skiing, but when I skied there we had to tighten/loosen the buoys as needed because of the tides. Agree with Pat M - good club there. It's also pretty much right in the middle of the San Diego region so not hard to get to and from. Fun site to ski at when you catch the conditions right. You can always do what I did when I showed up there as a college student with no connections - go stand on the shore across from the floating dock and yell "Hey - can I buy a ride from someone, please?" Might work. Or not. One note: if it's glassy calm and you see something underwater making a huge wake around the course, it's not a shark, it's just a big Bat Ray.

Yes I ski on mission. I am not likely to be around over the christmas break though. Technically you are supposed to pull a permit (SD lifeguards) to get on the course, they allow three boats and three alternates on any given day, the problem for you is you have to do it the week prior, but..... I can pretty much gaurantee you wont have much company if any that week, and if so they are not likely to hassle you for the permit if you explain the situation. Its self regulating, no one other than a fellow skier will ask to see it, you wont get a ticket or anything like that.

You can ski at low tide or at least lower tides, I cant say that I have been in there at dead low tide, but have not been denied use of the course due to water level. Conditions are an issue, I have pulled out without making a pass, but conditions change fairly quickly, so if you show up and its blown out, you can try hanging out for awhile. I cannot comment on the buoy placement, I dont ski well enough to consider that, but they seem to be in the same place to me everytime I go which has been weekly for the past few months.

I have just started to meet some fellow skiers down there and will say they take good care of the facility, nice dock and the course is in order.

In any case, let me know what dates you will be here and I will do whatever I can to help you find a tow.

And yes, you can see seals, and even dolphins inside the bay, someone claimed to have seen a bat ray but I havent seen one. I just dont look down. : )

• Baller

I am part of the team that maintains the Mission Bay site. Doug is correct in the pulling permit process, although 4 permits are allowed to ski. That time of year it will be quiet and water on the cool side. If I am in town over the holidays I will help you with a pull. Mornings are usually the best, although if the winds are right, afternoon skiing that time of year can be excellent. Send me a message and I'll get you my cell #.

Here is our most recent team website as well. www.sdwaterskiclub.com/

• Baller

I wish I would have known that you guys had a club/course in SD. I have been down here from MI for the past 5 days and would have loved to get some rides in. Unfortunately I will be leaving tomorrow. I will bring my ski on the next trip for sure.

• Baller
How s the weather there in February ? I remember having a blast in college when we towed my ski brendella down there and spent a week cruising around mission bay. We could only afford one night at The Bahia hotel . Slept in the boat the rest of the time ! Thinking it may be a fun trip to take the family on if it's somewhat warm. And if I can catch a set it would be a bonus. Think we will stay in a hotel the entire time this time around

• Baller

@Bruce55 I know a guy that skis only in a wet suit here. He says he's ok (during the colder months), but I prefer to feel warm; worth the extra neoprene to me). The last few days have been icy cold in the mornings (which hopefully won't last long, but will affect the water temp). Skiing would have to begin around noon before the warmth would set in, but I'd still use a drysuit. We are more northeast than SD, (a bit more in the mountains) so our weather is more extreme than SD.

@rodltg2 San Diego (Mission Bay) doesn't get the temp swings as much as we do, as we are more in the mountains. I agree, their temps are really great. Ours are tolerable, just more swing in them. February can be awesome, but sometimes we get windy after around 11 or 12 (Jan/Feb can have that).

The good news, though, is we have fresh water, not salt water.

*Skied today, the water temp today was 51º...