Radar Theory Sizing

MaliMonster

Quick question.

I am a novice slalom skier working on the basics at 30-32 mph and 15 off. I have hopes of getting into the course in the future. I have an average atheletic build of about 190 lbs and 6'2". I picked up a Radar Theory and used the sizing chart to determine that I needed a 69". Since then, I have read many recommendations online to downsize the Theory. Should I have gotten the 67"? The 69" seems big and slow now. Is that just in my head?

Mali, I suggest that you stay with the 69". I am your height& weight, & use a 69" 2012 triumph in the course now at 26mph. You may want to slow down a bit to get through the course. The 69" will allow a slower speed for you vs. a 67". I am gradually trying to work up in speed, which the 69" will still allow.

• Baller

Hi MaliMonster

I am a beginer and ski on a 67 Theroy (175 Lbs)

Just back from a 4 days training in Italy.

The coach put me on 26 mph and this is a perfect speed to learn the corse.

However, the ski rides a bit deep but next year I will start running 28 and then the ski rides just perfect for me.

Fo me the corse was more difficult than I expected. I thought I was a desent free skier but it took me approx 80 runs in the corse to get 5 fully successful passages.

So yes I think you have the right size.

PS

A tip from a beginer in this world of pros.

I was only allowd to shadow the boies for several runs.

Then I had to take the corse from the back starting with 6, 5+6, 4+5+6 etc.

It was relaxing since I got 6 turns every passage and could focus on the rythm and timing.

Best luck!

Peter

• Baller

I'm about the same size as you, 195 and 6'3". I do INT wide ride on a 67" Theory @ 30 mph and for me a 69" would be WAY too big a ski. Slower speeds, say 26 mph, the 69 might be right. At 30 - 32 mph the 67 will perform better. Been riding one for years, don't ride it much these days but used to occasionally run 35 off @ 30 and get one or two at 38. This is a very capable, performance ski. Once you start skiing the course and rounding buoys at 30 mph and 22 off and shorter you're definitely gonna want a 67".

Ed

• Baller

Hi Ed

Highly impressed that you can ride the Theory at so short lines!

I thought the Theroy was only ment to be used in 15 off line lenght given the fact the it has a wider, more forgiving tail?

This mean I have to wait a looong time until I can justify a new ski... =0\

Have a nice day!

Peter (from a dark Sweden)

• Baller

Hi @gsm_peter. Here in the US the INT League has a tournament class specifically for wide ride skis such as the Theory, Obrien Syncro, HO Burner etc. Max speed in this class is 49 kph (30.4 mph). The width, or actually the larger surface area for the length, allows for good support at the slower speed but the skis are still designed for high performance same as the thinner skis used at higher speeds. The Theory i.e. uses the same design (edges, bevels, tunnel etc etc) as the Strada it's just wider. So it's definitely capable of short line skiing. More capable than I am...

12m (35 off) is still 12m - you still have to do things technically correctly, but you have more time to work with at the slower speeds allowing you to think it through a bit more and you have more time to make corrections that you may not be able to make at higher speeds. I've never gotten into 11.25m at 55k but have at 49k and skiing at the slower speeds at shorter line lengths is not only a blast to do but gives you some idea of what to expect at the higher speeds. The Theory is definitely a short line ski, but is also fun and easy to just ride if you aren't ready to push it that much just yet. Fun and easy ski to ride with lots of headroom to work with.