Oil Filter for 87' 350 Indmar

justcuz

K...this is somewhat frustrating. Can't seem to track down what is the "right" oil filter. I have a Indmar 350 (1987) engine. Napa gave me the 7099 Gold filter, which is equivelant to the Penzoil PZ3 (which I beleive is what Indmar recommends). That said, I had read that's not he case for the older boats. Anyone have any insight as to the best/right filter for a late 80's 350 Indmar?

Maybe this really isn't something to get too hung up on...

• Baller

@justcuz You can use either as well as the wix 51060 and many other filters. All gm 5.7l blocks of this era should take the same filters. The 51060 is just a larger (longer) version of the 51069 which is cross referenced to the pz3 and napa 1069 (which is a direct copy of the 51069). The napa 1060 is the wix 51060

The use of the 51060 will come down to fit. it is a "long" one which would not be standard and thus you'll know right away looking at it. Not necessary on the small block IMO. The shorter 51069 or napa 1069 will be the ones I'd use and the same size specs by the OEM

So where does the napa 7099 fit into all this? Is that the same as the 1069? Thanks for all the help everyone...good info for a dummy like me :)

I just checked my boat and either the longer version or the shorter would fit fine...the shorter version is on there right now.

• Baller_
I would suggest the longer version, that is the one used on that engine installed in the Pick Up trucks, the short one is that way for clearance. Same filter media, more surface area to capture more dirt/debris and allows your engine to carry just a bit more oil (as there is more in the filter). The Napa and Wix filters get very good ratings from the various groups that test/evaluate oil filters. There are several sites that have the details on oil filter evaluations. There are actually only a few real manufacturers of filters, they just stamp several names on them. Napa/Wix = same filter and the good one. STP/Fram and others are the cheapo version. Weight is a good evaluator if you are in the store buying one. Another tip, don't use the racing version as they don't filter (different Micron ratings) as well but flow better to ensure oil flow at higher rpm, not 3500 but more like 6-7000 rpm for a race engine.