broken leg

JAG

Early morning set yesterday, my buddy Dave was skiing 35 off and went down around 1. Suffered a broken left leg below the knee. Was on a Connelly F1 with Vision bindings so no release. I also ski on a F1 with Draft bindings and suffered a broken left foot (5th metatarsal) in 2010. Started thinking about a release system after my fall (but too stupid to do fit one) and see now that Connelly has Stealth bindings. Wondering if I can retrofit those to my F1 (2009 model).

I think it's time.

Would appreciate your thoughts.

RPG

• Baller

I'm the crowd that went to FM's after a broken leg (Spiral Fx Femur) in standard rubber waterski binders. I have been using the FM's since the summer of 06 and while I don't get near the number of sets in a season as many of you probably do in a month, they worked well for that period of time with basic upkeep such as cleaning and lubing the release pin, and checking screws for loosening.

It isn't the most simplistic of systems, I suspect weight is higher than other offerings, I think that depending on foot size the rear binder might be further rearwards than optimal (but many boot systems are) I measured this out between my Wiley double boot and FM boots, and ankle to ankle is the same on both skis, but I am towards the top measurement that the shells will accommodate, and if you are smaller in the boots, your toes will not be near the heel of the front binder.

The double plates was really why I went with the FM though, rear heel can come up as you go forwards even if your front binding is still being pressed to the ski by your front leg, but both come free of ski when rear releases as front only has a small patch of velcro. Also, you can boot up while seated and step into ski. And you can swim/climb onto boat, and release from ski in water at end of run. No fiddling with buckles while in the water to for the swim.