Skiing 32 mph

LeonL

• Baller
The thread on Course Progression led me to start this thread. It may have garner few interested viewers due to the minority of ballers in this category (old farts, see next sentence) but I'm looking for insights. After Nationals I have moved to G2 speed. Yes, I'm real old (M7), but still trying to ski. I'm looking for tips on what to do when moving from 34 (been skiing 34 for 25 years) to 32. I've heard all the common suggestions, get a longer ski, get a wider ski, reduce fin depth. Hey, that may all there is, but with the wealth of knowledge on BOS I'm hoping for the best. While at 34 I was a mid 35off skier on a good day, ran it once in my life. Now most of you would say, slow down 2 mph and pick up 6 buoys. Ain't so easy. While 32 off is a good bit easier, 35 is somewhat easier and 38 is, well, 38. No similarity to 35 at 34 mph. Ideas on any parts of 32mph?

• Baller
Leon, I ski 34mph but trained for 6 straight weeks at 32mph this summer. I did nothing to the set up except to remove the wing on my A2. What I did find that it taught me was how to control my core in relation to the handle, and to carry the handle outbound and always keep my bindings on the opposite of the handle from the pylon. Once I got better at controlling my core and where I had the handle, and quit giving it away, 32mph felt like 34mph. If you come off the handle early, the ski dies at 32mph and starts to turn inside the radius of the rope and handle.

• Baller
@ShaneH, I realize that "handle control" as mentioned so frequently on BOS is a problem for me, and I continue to work on it. I'm not sure I get the "always keep my bindings on the opposite of the handle from the pylon." Could you explain that a bit more?

• Baller
If you let the handle away from your core as you are going outbound, the ski then falls behind the arc of the handle. When it does, it then takes a new path inside that arc. When that happens, your bindings are behind the handle. Think of it like Matt Brown says........ you can't control the handle. What you can control is where your core is in relation to it.

• Baller
@leonl - check out what Rich said about resisting the pull/rotation of the boat after the second wake. I found this to be really helpful at 32 mph, AND 34 mph. The other thing I found at that slower speed. Is that you actually need to pull a little longer since you don't get the whip that you would at the higher speeds. Just my two cents, hope this helps!!!