Really in need of boat

tfriess

• Baller

Looking for a very well kept 00-03 Ski nautique in price range under 20k. Have looked at a few. Im located in Wisconsin but can travel. If you know anyone who was a boat that might fit the description please let me know. I am very interested and would buy instantly.

What's with California and the cheap Nautiques? If my present job doesn't work out I'm going to make a living importing Ski Nautiques from the Sacramento area back to the midwest. Even after paying shipping (California-->Indiana) mine was a better deal than anything I could find around here.

• Baller
  • Baller

If the alarm goes off, the red light comes on, or the temperature stays above 200 F for more than a minute. The mechanic at the marina where I get my boat serviced said he has had to rebuild engines(mostly heads and valves) after 800 hours because people run them overheated. Most boats run about 160 degrees. Mine runs at 130 degrees. The temperature will spike. If you are pulling a skier through the course, and then stop suddenly to pick him up it will spike up into the 200's, but it will cool back down once you start running the engine again. If it does not you have a problem. When buying a boat have a marina run a compession check that way you can see what condition the heads and valves are in. I have 1640 hours on my boat, and no problems. The only mechanical repairs have been 1 alternator, and 2 steering cables. The rest has been basic maintenance, engine alignment, changing oil and filter, fuel filters, and changing trans fluid. We had to tighten down the pylon for the first time this year. I change the impeller every other year. I always take it out when I winterize, and store it in a jar of antifreeze. My boat gets a coat of marine cleaner wax monthly during the season, and a full detail job before I put it away for the winter. I get it in showroom condition when I put it away.

If I see the beginnings of a tear in the impeller vanes I replace it. It is an expensive part to replace that can save you thousands of dollars of damage. I check the water strainer weekly.

• Baller

Congrats @tfriess! Nothing cooler than buying your first boat - make sure you're listening to good music, 'cause those songs are going to remind you of this time for the rest of your life.

I hope you live in a southern state. Nothing tougher than staring at your boat all winter before you get your first ski behind it.

uShip can be interesting. Kevin and I looked into uShip to get his boat from California to Indiana. When you post it on uship you're likely to get all kinds of offers- from legitimate shippers to some college guy willing to tow your boat behind his sedan in order to pay for gas money. You'll have to decide how much extra you're willing to pay for somebody who is registered with the DOT and has insurance. If you're shipping it a long distance I highly recommend having it shrink wrapped for the journey

• Baller
@jipster43 that is not the case for either. The boat does not have a sounds system. Also I live in Wisconsin and so hopefully if it gets here fast enough I will be able to ski behind. I will ski the year with it, ill just have to grow some big balls

• Baller

Congrats on the new boat!

I am not sure where you are in Wisconsin, but I sold my boat in the fall of ’10 in Vermont. http://www.bbbtransporter.com/boatslayout.html hauled it to Michigan for the new owner. Kaz the owner of BBB who I dealt with seemed like a good guy and runs a good group. They might want to bring your boat back as a back haul, since they are based nearby you.

• Baller
@tfreiss uShip can be a gamble. You have to do your homework. I sold my boat to a guy in Australia a couple of years ago. He needed to get the boat from Texas to Long Beach, CA and used uShip. The guy was a little slow in getting to Houston for the pickup, but once he picked up the boat, it made it to Long Beach in a timely fashion. After that, the Australian tried to use the same guy to ship a couple of more boats and paid him some of the money up front and never heard from him again. Good Luck.