Progression In the course

454SS

Was just wondering if I could some opinions on progressing in the course I am working on upping speed and shortening line length right now around 32 mph and 28 off working towards 36 mph any tips on getting there when shorten rope and when to bump up speed??? Or does it even matter???

• Baller

Personally, would try to get to 34 mph first, then work down line. When you can run say 32 off at 34 come back to 28, 36mph. I felt I learned angles/timing etc of the shorter lines better at 34mph with time to think than 36 mph...wish I would have realized that when I was in a 36 mph division!

32 mph, however, can be too slow to get the swing that you need to understand/feel/master so my vote is get to 34 stay there til running a pass, then shorten up.

• Baller
@454SS - I agree with @6balls. Skiing at 32 mph @ 28 is a little slow, and it really takes a lot of strength/lean to get the speed you need. Just last night I was speeding the boat up to a real 34 mph and what a difference it made in the amount of work required to get across the wake. Made the pass's easier and more efficient so there were more sets. I too am working on 36 mph, but have a lot more time at 34. Keep it up!!

Well I ski 36 and to be honest there is only one way to learn to ski it and that is to ski it. I've never dropped speed to 34mph to try a new line length. If you have zero off you can reduce the speed to 35.5 or something like that to try it out (Chris Rossi gave me that advice a few years back) but you have to ski 36 differently than you do 34 so there's really no reason to mess around with 34 once you can run it. My advice would be to go back to 22 off possibly 15 and get your 34 mph pass done and then speed up before you shorten the rope because you're just going to have habits that don't really translate at 36...especially the shorter the rope gets.

I agree with @tbrenchley. Lengthen the rope back to 22 or 15 and go to work on the 34mph and progress to 36mph. If you want to ski in tournaments you are going to have to go 36 before you start cutting line so lengthen it out and work on the speed. 36 is a blast!