Animal Bindings

bourea

I have been skiing on 2009 HO Animal XL bindings for several years. They have served me well but are definitely showing their age after hundreds of passes. I have glued and zipped them together to make them last. I am looking to replace them.

I heard that the new HO animals aren't as well built as what I currently have. Can anyone confirm this with their experience? I am also open to suggestions in regards to rubber (non-hardshell) bindings.

I did ski on HO Approach XL bindings for awhile and I skied much better after switching back to the Animals.

Thanks for your help!

Asa

• Baller
I have a couple pairs of XL RFF that are in pretty good shape. The older rubber overlay, not the leather type - couldn't stand those.. Not sure what they are worth, maybe getting worth more if the new ones aren't as good!

• Baller

I have to agree - in spades - that since the Animals moved away from the thicker, but more flexible rubber overlays they are no where near as comfortable and form fitting as they were. The thinner "leather like" wraps cramp my instep and do not release near as well. Also, the boot that is under the wrap tears very easily. In almost 10 years of using the older Animals - I never tore the boot portion, but with a 2010 model I tore it the first time I tried to put my foot in, soap and all. Unless they go back to being like they used to be, I am likely moving on to the Reflex or Strada. I have a pair of twice used RFF mediums I may sell in the spring after I get use to the Reflex or Strada.

I have always loved HO products and customer service is tough to beat - but IMHO they missed the mark with the Animals since 2010.

• Baller
Major agreement! So much that I found older Animals and snatched them up. I went to Stradas last year for a few reasons and have the Animals sitting in my basement. Might go back to them but I really don't like the rear boots. I ran out of old 98 boots for the rear and really don't like the Animal rear.

• Baller
I think HO makes great skis. As a matter of fact, I've never skied on anything but an HO. I've also had multiple sets of Animals. Unfortunately, they've never been as durable as I had hoped. They rarely last a season without something tearing up. I can say the same for the gloves. I've never had a pair of HO gloves last more than a couple months. Great skis. Boots and gloves have fallen short on durability in my experience. I've switched my gloves to StraightLine and usually get at least a full season if not 2 out of them.

• Baller
If HO would go back to the older version Animal with the thicker, more flexible rubber wrap and more durable boot I would gladly spend $30 a year on a new wrap just to have that old comfort and reliable release again. But, until then I'm going elsewhere.