How old is this ski?

fu_man

• Baller

Can anyone tell me about how old this O'brien is? I thought late 70's but there are no holes in the fin and the binders look older so that might suggest otherwise. If I were to refinish it what would you suggest? Marine spar varnish? Tried to attach the photos but they wouldn't upload so here are some links.

OB1

OB2

• Baller
Right around 40 years I'd guess. We bought the same ski (one ski for my dad, mom, and me) in 1973. It was a 72". By the late '70s I'm not sure they were still making their laminated wooden models. I think The Competitor was out by then. Yeah, sand it down and throw some marine varnish on it just like you would for any "bright work" on a sailboat.

• Baller
I was going to guess early 70's too. I started skiing in the mid 70's and by then skis were no longer looking much like that. The Connelly wood hook was still around into the late 70's but I don't remember seeing a wood Obrien that late, and certainly not shaped like that. So I agree with @jimbrake.

• Baller
That's a pre-1972, 'cause my first real slalom was a '72 and it had an "O'Brien" logo on the fin cap, with the fin screwed up through the bottom and yellow overlays on the bindings. Looks like the rear binding is from an O'Brien EP, back before EP went solo and all fiberglass. My guess is it's a '69-'71. Good God, the fact that I even have an opinion on this is proof that I'm OLD!

• Baller
I think they changed the yellow "O'Brien" logo in front of the bindings fron an older script typeface to this one in '70 or '71. I know I'm an old fart 'cause I'm the same age as thager. And, no, Tom, I'm not Jim Rose as you guessed a few weeks ago (getting warmer, though) and not PC, who is a WAY better skier (especialy in tricks, no, really in every way)- did ski with PC a lot for a few years, though.

• Baller
Yes, Tom, you got me. I was hoping to come out of retirement this weekend but pulled a bicep a few weeks ago. It was progressing ok, had one good session back on the water then Sunday got some slack on a downwind 32 and popped it again, so my season might be done.

• Baller
@ Nando. How did you come up with Nando? Really stumped me for a while. The Sauciers, low lake level, and not skiing for a time finally clicked in my brain. Sorry to hear you're injured! You'll have all winter to heal. Come on down and ski some time after you're fixed up.

• Baller
@sunvalleylaw yep I play guitar too but not as much since I've gained more access to skiing. Still using the sea swirl (sierra classic) when I can't ski behind my buddies' inboards. Still scheming to get my own ski boat...just not there yet.

• Baller
thager, G. Lindy stuck me with that one- no one else has ever called me that, so I figured it gave me some anonymity. Hope to have enough time for real practice next year as youngest kid can now drive himself places and is working on becoming a decent slalom driver, also ski partners are healthy and getting back into it- one after a string of nasty injuries, another after losing his way.