94 MC 205

lundberg

The hours are very low - look for oil leaks at main seal and oil pan gasket. If not already done, prepare for fuel system rubber goods replacement to deal with alcohol laden fuels. Check for water in tranny - it will be in the bottom if you suck the entire contents out. Finally, exhaust manifolds are wear items, don't be surprised if they need replacement soon.

• Baller

Great boat! I loved my 93. Those are low hours. I would have a dealer go over it just to be sure but it's one of the best they ever made. 94 was the first year of fuel injection. Ask the same question over on Mastercraft team talk forum. You will find everything you could ever want to know about the 205.

• Baller
+1 on TAKE IT OUT AND TEST IT... It's a great boat if all is in good shape. I have over 1200 hours on my 94 205 that I bought new. I still ski with it about once a month at my vacation lake house. I also have almost 500 hours on my 2007 Malibu RLXI that is at my Bako membership lake. So 550 hours on an 18 year old boat could mean that it's sat for the last 10 years... A boat will last if it gets some exercise and is run frequently. Sitting on the couch will make everything shrivel up, dry out, and leak when you need it. Not good for boats either.

• Baller
I got the boat on Sunday and skied it this morning. This is my first boat and I had a lot on my mind as I took it to the launch and while I was skiing. It definitely works better when you put the drain plug in (hopefully the one and only time I make that mistake). The wake is great and the engine runs quiet and strong. The steering is a little stiff and the starter is a little weak, but I think it'll be a great boat.

Looks like a great boat. When is the steering stiff? All the time or just under power. If its all the time a new steering cable should fix that issue. Usually a starter doesn't get weak, they fail. If its having a hard time starting, its more than likely the power supply. It could be an old battery, what voltage are you running at idle, and what voltage under power?

• Baller
+1 on wrapping the kill switch cord around the plug PLUS then stick the T handle of the plug in the crevasse of the seat. When you sit down you'll be "gently reminded" to put the plug where it goes. That's one mistake you will only make once.

• Baller

To those recommending a new steering cable, they are probably right... However, first disconnect it at the rudder end and try to turn the wheel. If it is still stiff, it is the cable.

Otherwise, if that has freed up the cable, with the cable still disconnected, try moving the rudder back and forth. If it is stiff, some lube may be all that is needed.

if it does need a new cable, when you pull out the old cable tie a rope on to the end and pull it through. That can then be used to pull the new cable through. It should save you some time fishing it through.

I was told by a marine mechanic with 30 years exp not to use grease. He said to fill your grease cartridge in your grease gun with oil and pump that in. bit messy but works great. I have a 1994 prostar and the steering was very stiff, I can steer it with one finger now.