Skiing advice

skier2788

• Baller

My lake went empty beginning of August because of a drought here in Colorado. So my ski season is over and I am transitioning to winter mode already. The other weekend I went to Austin and skied with my sister. I usually ski behind a 2002 196 with PP. Everytime I get behind a boat with ZO I struggle.... a lot. I know I need to be wider on my gates. Was just wondering what else the ballers would suggest I change to not have such a drastic difference between ZO and PP. My times running PP are within .07 of actual. So I dont think it is a speed issue. Thanks for the advice. hope the videos post.

• Baller

Travis- What lake do you ski at in Colorado that went dry? Sorry to hear that. I ski on the Western Slope.

Regarding ZO, it can punish you for hitting it too early. Your path through the course, even at 28, is pretty narrow. Check out the late edge change. The result is that you are loading closer to the buoy than you should be, so ZO is hitting you outside.

You mentioned your gates. You should focus on getting higher on the boat, turn in with more speed, so you can get better angle. Skiing with better angle will allow you to take more speed through the finish so you can ski back closer to the wake before loading the rope and engaging ZO. Better angle will help you at all lenghts, and will help fix many of the issues you are having.

• Baller
Thanks @marco i will try getting higher on the boat. I feel much narrower behind ZO than PP. Just not enough practice with ZO. I ski on a lake near fort collins just north of boyd a couple of miles. New ditch rider and low snow pack. Last day skiing here with a shortened to 4 ball course was august 5

• Baller
@skier2788 You actually have a lot of good things going for you. Your timing and rhythm are good. You are not cutting too long and as a result, you have good rope control (not much slack). My comment above related to how sometimes you brake at the waist in mid-turn, even prior to ZO having its way with you. This can happen when we reach forward with the handle leaving our hips behind, rather than countering with the hips and shoulders into the ball. If you think "tall with chest to the sky" coming into the ball, especially on your off-side, you will be less likely to leave your hips behind. Then as the expression goes, ski your hips and free hand back to the handle. There will be no need to get stacked for the load because you will already be stacked.