Ripping on the Razor -- Razorskier1 and Son

Razorskier1

• Baller

Skied today with several of my family members. My son and I are both on the identical A68 with the same settings (although I slightly deepened my fin today to take away a bit of the too hard onside). I went 3 for 5 at 38 off over two sets -- a personal best for sure. Mitch ran 32 off again, which he started running only about 3 weeks ago when he switched to the Razor. I don;'t want any comments about how dang smooth he is compared to the old man!

• Administrators

@Razorskier1 great skiing you make it look at lot easier than I do (I am more entertaining)

Do you think your son's could take out some length? The tip does some funny things at the exit of 1/3/5

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Nice patience on that -38! Ran late most of the way but never panicked. Incredible how hard it is to avoid panicking on that silly purple!

Junior for some reason seems to have his center of mass toward the front of the ski, preventing the ski from "shooting out" wide. I can't seem to spot why, though.

• Baller
My ski partner has been on a 66 Razor at 36mph for the last couple of weeks, thanks to Volker at Razor. He's found bindings back with a long, deep fin works better for him at 38 and 39 1/2 than the stock settings. He's at 28 5/8 on the bindings and 7.011/2.520/.640/9degrees. With a long/big fin, the ski pushed back until he started moving the bindings back.

• Baller
pulled @razorskier1 around 3 ball (2.5 score...spit it just before the wake) at 39.5 tonight...he ran 38 twice. Ran 5 and 4.5 at 38 myself. First Txi experience; great drive and great to ski. Mrs. @razorskier1 ripped off a bunch of passes at 15 off 30 mph.

• Baller
Slight fin adjustment and change in focus (working on pull progression, length and intensity along with position on ski) and in the last three days I've run five at 38 five times, four at 38 four times, and run the pass 5 times. Everything seems to be just coming together. Agree with @6balls on the TXi -- tracks great and skis great.

• Baller

@ShaneH -- I think you might be on to something with making the fin bigger until you have to push back. I'm a big guy and I can sometimes push on the ski very hard. Setting up the ski so that it doesn't let me push it too much is probably a good thing, especially since I am more likely to exhibit that behavior at shorter lines. Interesting food for thought. I'm on a 68 inch A flex and weigh 195 lbs. My fin depth is similar, but my length is shorter 6.878 and my DFT is .705.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 Charles is 6'3" 155lbs but he can push a ski around. So when setting up all of his Goode's, he's gone as deep as it'd go, as long as it would go, and as far back as it would go. He says that's what Mapple taught him to do years ago when he started skiing the pro tour. The bigger the fin, the better the skis are in rough rolly water, which is what all the pro tour stops were back then. The only change we've made is moving the bindings back 1/4" and the ski came alive then with the long, deep fin.

• Baller
@Razorskier1 -- One thing I noticed with Jr. on his 1/3/5 was that he reaches back to the handle a bit early and out in front. If he lets the ski finish the turn and reach into the pocket that may help a bit with the tip rise and get stacked at hook up. Just my two cents and nice skiing!

• Baller
@ShaneH -- after deepening the fin I thought the Razor felt better for me. Didn't make it any longer. Yesterday I moved the bindings back. Didn't measure but I'm guessing that it is now 29 DFT. Skied it in rough conditions (15mph cross) yesterday and ran eight 35s to see how it would feel. Definitely seemed better. Driver said I was softer on the boat and I didn't feel like it was over-turning (bad habit for me to push the ski), but rather taking the right amount of angle at the ball and running. Will get to try it today on smooth water -- very interested to see how it runs.