Why I like 3 round slalom tournaments

Razorskier1

• Administrators
3 rounders is the way to go for sure. There are a number of lakes in So Cal that do 3 rounds one day and then again the next day. It means less skiers but it is a lot of skiing and a chance to get the score you want.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I don't get to practice more than 2 sets in a day. A third round wipes me out. I am done with tournaments for the year. I have to work when the ones in my area take place. I like a 3 round slalom tournament since it allows me to only concentrate on slalom. I try to do mostly 3 event since I trick. I hope Bellalago Lake in Ohio has one next June. I will need to put up a good score to make it back to regionals next year. My last tournament score Labor Day weekend(2 rounds of slalom) was 1 1/2 @ 32 off which is going to lower my ranking score once my other scores expire. I have one more year in Men 3. If I don't make it back to regionals next year I may not get another chance. Men 4 has more experienced competition and it looks like I will have to average 3@35 off to make the cut in the Midwest. I try to get in a couple of 3 round slalom tournaments to get more practice. I also like getting to ski behind 3 different boats in 1 day. Got to ski behind a Malibu TXi in good conditions at the Dave's Pond Labor Day 3 event. The midwest regionals was the first time I got behind a Malibu. I liked it...

• Baller

I kinda missed the jist of the original post being the beauty of the 3 round tournament as opposed to tournaments in general. All but one of the tournaments I went to this year were three rounders and I was always stoked to have that extra chance.

Last year I traveled nine hours to Tate Lake and skied in a three event tournament - only one round of slalom a day. On day one I made my opener but blew up at two ball on my second pass. I swam to shore and walked straight to the beer. The reality of only one round of slalom per day was a bit more than I could take that morning. In the end I enjoyed myself enough that I'm disappointed to not be attending this year's event.

• Baller

Three round slalom tournament DO rock!

This season I've tended to ski decently in at MOST one of the rounds. Whoops. But I think only once did I manage to totally tank all three rounds.

I also really enjoy watching other people slalom and hanging with "slalom geeks" all day.

The big one-rounders are usually fun, too, mostly because you get to see so much good skiing at Regionals and Nationals.

I'm slowly steering away from 2-round 3-event tournaments, which is really too bad in a way. In principle, I kinda like the idea of tricks and jump. But in practice, I'd always rather see and do more slalom.

• Baller

We stolte the Greeny and Boscus's format. 3rd single eventers, 2rd if they do 2 or more events. We had our first 3 CEL evt this weekend at SMRR we had close to 300 pulls. 3rds slalom and trick on Sat. Jump on Sunday. Seems to keep the single eventers happy 3rnds in 1 day.

• Baller
When I do get to enter a tourney, after all the prep, travel, etc., I will hope it is a 3 rounder. As long as you are there, might as well ski. I usually try to ski 3 times on the days I get to ski, so that is what I am used to also. If I were way more experienced, maybe I could go out there and nail it in two rounds, but now I would want an extra chance.

• Baller
I overtrain, so 3 round tournaments are great. I'm as fresh on round three as round one. In a six round weekend, same holds true. Example. I skied 10 passes (one set) last Friday. 28, 32, and eight 35s. Saturday, 3 round slalom tournament. Sunday, two rounds of 10 passes each running down the line both times including 5 shots at 38 where I ran 4, 4, 6, 6, 6. This morning at 6:30 I decided to take it easy and ran two 10 pass sets of all 32s and just "worked on refining my swing", to borrow a golf term. Probably going to ski two more sets tonight out at another site with my wife and @6balls.

• Baller

I overtrain, too, but it takes about a zillion less passes for me to overtrain than @razorskier1. I love a good 6 round weekend (cuz its FUN), but it's taxing and even harder if I had skied much at all the day or two leading up to it. I used to be able to take him the first few sets in the gym as well, but as the workout wears on razor's freakish endurance is punishing.

Skied 32 and five 35's yesterday first set, two 35's and 2 unsuccessful 38's yesterday and feeling it today. Purple mojo has escaped me lately.

Still hoping to hit 6 rounds at skiwatch if schedule allows.

• Baller
@shaneH, not that I loved to have to turn and burn one round in pensacola after whiffing a downwind 35 (went back out at 35 and was fine), but I finished early as a result and had a nice cocktail while watching Jim finish up in round 3.

• Baller

Damn MS i was just going to call you about Ski Watch think i will get there wednsday and ski a coulple days ski the tourney saturday and head for Cedar Ridge to ski their tourney Sunday. From there its off to Arlington to report for work on Monday. Was looking forward to hangin with you. Are you coming down for Cottonwood.

Hope the Ross bros. make it.