Property Tax Issues

rodltg2

• Baller
I bought in 05 a brand new Malibu RLXI. I sold it in Feb 07. The following years I kept getting bills for property tax on it and had to fax the county the bill of sale and the paperwork I filed with DMV. For a few years I did not recieve anything until late 2010 or so. The boat had now been moved to a Orange County and they were now requesting property tax on the boat . I again faxed them the paperwork and re filed the info with DMV. Now two years later Orange county again wants property tax on it for 2010, 2011, 2012. So obviously the buyer has never transfrerred ownership and the DMV is not accepting my paperwork now. So I am thinking of going down to the DMV, requesting a copy of the title, pay the property tax bill and getting my Malibu back!!

• Baller
I have is name and old address from the bill of sale . I have already filed it with DMV twice. For some reason they cant seem to get the boat out of my name. Very wierd, i have bought and sold many boats and have never come across this. Obviousdly the guy is avoiding paying any taxes on it. Here is California you have to pay sales tax when you transferr owership and then a yearly property tax of 1% of the value. He has not done any of it in 5 years! So as far as the DMV knows the boat is still mine .

• Baller
He must be using it on a private lake. I believe he would have gotten a ticket on a public lake without a registration sticker. If he is using it on his own private lake, he shouldn't have to pay property taxes, but I believe the local politicians would not agree with this.

• Baller

He's not using on private lake. Property tax bill says its moored Harbor Point Marina in Newport. Just got back from DMV and it is still titled in my name. I can get a duplicate tilte, but then what? Pay the fees and try and find the boat?

@skimech, its re-evaluted every year. So you wont pay 600 every year.

• Baller
I imagine the new owner is not going to give it up easily. I'd research it thoroughly and maybe talk to a lawyer. You know what they say about "possession being 9/10 of the law". It would suck if you were out the tax money and no boat.

I buy and sell cars every day. You have no right to the boat itself and I know you are probably just being funny, your problem is with the DMV, and let me tell you that you are the only one. : ) The buyer is probably trying to dodge the sales and registration fees and frankly the state putting the burden on the seller is pretty stupid, but its dmv, whats new.

File a complaint with this form. I know it is maddening and I cannot believe how incompetent and aloof they are, but that said, they are getting better. You may want to go to AAA or a third party agency for assistance, sometimes they are able to expedite these matters and it keeps you out of the 3 hour que at the local DMV.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/inv/inv172a.pdf

My concern would be if he had an accident. Boat is still in your name means potential liability issues. The only way out of that would be if you had a legal document signed by both parties stating that you were no longer the owner. That would be my sole concern.

Send them a bill for your time Once a month. With a copy of the property tax, bill of sale and explanation letter. Eventually someone might get the picture.

Or better yet Call the newspaper and tell them what has happened and see if they will run an article on it. Then include that in your bill.

• Baller

I used to get property tax notifications for an old jetski I sold. I always just threw them in the trash once a year. My thoughts were; I have the official, signed bill of sale saying I sold it so I don't see how I could be liable in the event of an accident.

Would back taxes be an issue for this type of thing and get you in trouble? In my case, it was a jetski worth maybe $1000 so if I do get in trouble 15 years from now, I could cough up a couple hundred to clear my name but if back taxes apply and legal action is taken, an expensive boat would be more serious.