Kickstarter to fund BOS event??

Than_Bogan

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas is great..I lived in Laredo for a few years, but its a long way to go for a lot of people. A more central location would seem to make more sense.

The scope of the event seems to be developing into another tournament with funky rules? Although that isnt really a bad thing in any way..is it really that inclusive to the people who aren't those reading BOS everyday?

When I started the previous thread I imagined this event having the same or better opportunity as the Stoaked festival coming up this weekend to start creating a lifestyle image the same as sports such as surfing, snowboarding, or wakeboarding even have right now. A great way to do that is to add things which will interest a lot of people to the event...like a rib fest, with tons of beer tents..maybe thats not family friendly entirely but its an idea.

If people want to start a thread for those interested in orgranization of the even I'd be all for that.

• Administrators

The idea of Ballers Nationals or as I now call it Anti-Nationals is a giant bucket of Catch -22s

Let’s get a few things straight. Anyone can put a tournament and invite the Ballers. We are talking about a national gathering of Ballers that is promoted and endorsed by the site.

Marc Austin gets first crack at doing it at his lake because he was there the first time we ever talked about this. It was really his idea two years ago. In fact I think the term “Baller” started in that conversation 2 years ago.

Texas is a central is it gets unless we go to Kansas. FYI – the biggest % of Ballers come from the west and then the south and then the mid west.

The details are a hard balance. The event must:

Appeal to the short line guys and the less experienced Ballers equally. Being inclusive is most important.

Be more than a tournament. Tournaments are boring. BallOfSpray is more about skiing than competition.

Everyone needs to get at least a couple of rides. If I wanted to pay hundreds of $ for one ride I would go to Nationals.

Ski demos or factory demos or something like that are a must.

Whatever the details are not everyone is going to get what they want.

Until Marc and I can talk there is not much else to say.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
Looking forward to seeing what shapes up here -- going to have to put in for the hall pass soon! Maybe bring the better half and she can hang with the Ballers? @MS -- New Germany would be a nice spot -- lakes ski great and we have two of them with a nice layout for watching both lakes. Maybe some year in the future if I can talk the HOA into it . . .

@horton you're right on track with this-you're a man hellbent on growing this sport for skiers of all levels and this sounds like a fantastic way to do it. Spending money to travel somewhere near or far so that I can ski one set in order to prove I'm not the greatest skier in the world, no thanks. But sign me up for a few days of clinics followed by some friendly competition, demos, group instruction sessions, hog roast, and a nighttime Wilson Bros flare ski show! My ski partner and I will fly to Texas, Cali, Florida, wherever. Call it Baller Nationals so I can tell my friends that I'm going to ski in nationals. Assign the teams early so the smack talk can begin. Long live slalom.

• Baller_
I think a tournament for this type of event is the wrong approach. I think what most of the ballers really want is a fun weekend of skiing, meeting new friends, hanging out with other skiers, socializing, and having fun. Every skier could get a 10 minute slot to ski, get coaching, try a new ski, pick your boatcrew, or go over the jump. With 2 lakes, there should be plenty of water time, then plenty of adult beverages.

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

I would like to know what the spread of talent is on the site. Do we have a bunch of hacks like me, or is the site skewed towards an advanced/pro skill level? Will the pros be put out by lack of a structured tourney and conversely will the amateurs get lost/intimidated/bored watching and possibly sitting out competitive passes? I agree you will not please everyone, but I bet you can get close.

@Horton, I am going to give myself a 2 out of 6 balls rating in my sig and maybe others can follow suit. My rating is based on the fact that I can A. slalom ski and B. I can run the inside balls at 30 and 15 off. It would be great if everyone would join and give us all an idea of what our skiing ability really is.

"I would like to know what the spread of talent is on the site. "

John, post a skill level survey (or has it been done already?) I'd also like to see the number of sets per week.

Doug, I'm a hacker like you, and average two sets per week (which is why I'll always be a hacker).

John- your site is incredibly inclusive. Look at the recent explosion of guys posting 15 off, open water, basic level questions- and the continued responses to question from more advanced skiers. I even got feedback from a pro on one of my videos I posted a while back- what other sport can I do that? Without your site I would probably be still trying to ski around more buoys just by skiing harder. Your site is inclusive, and the event will be too if the advanced guys show up with the same attitude they have here.

• Baller

Lots of comp lakes not too far from one another up in Western WA, now that I think about it, and good connections to a few manufacturers there, and a major air hub. Not that I should have any real say in any of it, but just sayin'.

EDIT: I see a site has been chosen. Cool! Just thoughts for next time then.