Than_Bogan

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

I will help out.

WSA in ATL could possibly do it. Would need to convince OB but could be done. Hotel on site. 5 miles from the worlds busiest airport. Just minutes from a major city, for some evening shenanigans.

• Baller

This sounds awesome. Completely agree with @Horton. Needs to be something for all levels of skiers. And by all levels of skiers I hope you are including skiers that have never ran a course before. My wife and I would definitely be down to chipping in money to see a gathering happen. Seems like a lot are suggesting the destination be at a southern lake. That might make it a bit more challenging for some of us up here in the midwest (Indiana for us). Possibly considering a happy medium would be cool. Would love for it to be in a location that we could trailer our MasterCraft feasibly (as to have a boat to use if needed).

Please keep this thread going. Would hate to see it die.

Placidwaters in Grand Rapids is a good option. GRR is generally easy to get into and out of (i.e. reasonably priced). @boarditup saying it's a college town and counting Calvin is sort of like the @Horton vs. Brooks handicap comment in another thread. Certainly options but no East Lansing or Ann Arbor!

Allendale is home of GVSU - over 20k students. Not counting students, Allendale is 6,800 permanent residents. We are the home site for the GVSU waterski team - and they are a top 10 team in the Midwest.

Personally, I don't drink alcohol, but plenty of other skiers do, and there are quite a few watering holes nearby. If you want to hang out with the locals - the Embassy and the Yellow Jacket are classic local bar/grills and just down the road 2 and 3 miles. Main Street Pub and Peppinos are a mixture of locals and college students. Labor day would get a good mix of people to hang out with.

• Baller

@richarddoane Please, easy on the water issue, your giving our place a bad name. Some of us own property here ya know. Happened during a 100 year drought. About 20 other lakes in the South were not able to ski that year also. Lake completely full all summer this year.

Since we have resumes above let's see:

Aquaplex has hosted a US Open, 2 Big Dawgs (Chad Scott and Mike Morgan Champions), many other big tournaments, is home to "The Texas Hoss" Pete Chase (retired), Jimmy Siemers and our celebrity at the disabled nationals @usa1ski . Were 15 minutes from the Austin airport, 1 hour from San Antonio Airport and within 3 of Houston or Dallas. Currently one of the fastest most desirable cities in the US. Is 10 minutes from the new formula one track if you want to see it. One of the biggest university towns in the country and home to the famous 6th street. I'm not bidding, I'm offering to see if the HOA will once again approve. I don't care where we have it. Will be fun.

Personally I see enough of Atlanta for business, but would go if that's where we end up without hesitation. I think Grand Rapids is usually expensive to travel to. I think that because several of my guys live there and it always seems to cost me a fortune when they travel. That's just something to consider, I could be wrong. It is a beautiful area and I would go if that's where we have it.

We could of moved the last event, which was canceled, to a backup lake close by, but then would have incurred additional unplanned lake rental fees so after discussion we all said let's put it off a year or so.

Lake records- L Tournament- Will Asher 4@41, Practice T$ 1@43 Not too bad.

Trick 11000 plus

Jump 230 plus

• Baller

My "vote" should be weighted almost zero because I'm not likely to make it, but I do really like Austin. Been there a few times for game developer conventions (related to a side business that never took off). Just as weird as they say it is ("Keep Austin Weird" merchandise was popular the last time I was there in about 2009), but also interesting and fun.

I am not much of a drinker, but Iron Cactus Margheritas are shockingly good. Food is also excellent. If I somehow make it to Austin for this, I'll be eating there every night.

• Baller

@than_bogan The Iron Cactus is partially owned by a prominent skier (I should say a prominent skiers husband) so we can work out some preferential treatment. The Cadillac in the Mexican Martini size is always my recommendation.

@skidawg thought you would like me reaching back and throwin in Pete Chase. Been trying to get him to ski, but he struggles to get time these days with twin daughters.

• Baller

@MAD11 No way! That is a really bizarre coincidence. Now I wish I had known that before when I was going to Austin at least once a year. I believe the Iron Cactus is the only restaurant that I have a T-shirt from. And I'm 100% sure that it's the only alcohol-themed piece of clothing that I own.

Curious if you could tell me who it is, perhaps by private message or email (nathaniel UNDERSCORE bogan AT alum DOT mit DOT edu).

Grand Rapids is not a hub city, so if you don't live in a hub serviced by a direct connection to GRR, you will be paying more for travel than Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, Denver, etc. I travel a lot from GRR and my costs are typically within $100 of the same destination as my co-workers who fly out of a hub.

• Administrators

Ok look. Unless something crazy happens @MAD11 aka Marc Austin has the event for 2013. End of story.

Marc,

I have tried to call you a few times in the last 24 hours. Are you out of the country?

If this becomes a yearly event - we will look at other sites for 2014. I would love to see PlacidWaters

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

Man, I feel like the guy who's candidate just lost the election. Placid Waters in 2014!

I really like the team idea someone was floating around. For those of us who are novices/new to tournament skiing, it eliminates that me against the world kinda feeling.

I've ridden in some "goof" style bike races as part of team and it usually creates more of a party atmosphere. Goofy team names, costumes, pro's intermingled with the amateurs, good times. Someone would have to try 39off in a cape...