Kickstarter to fund BOS event??

Than_Bogan

• Baller

Let me preface this by saying I have almost no interest in socializing, and my weekends are over-constrained anyhow, so it's unlikely I'd be attending any hypothetical BOS event. And it's inconceivable that I'll be organizing one.

However, I am very amused by the creative ways people have found to use Kickstarter, and I guess I think it would work for this, too, if somebody were really motivated to do it.

For those unfamiliar, the basic idea of Kickstarter is that people give money to fund something that could happen, usually with the promise of something in return if it does. If enough money is collected, then the proposition goes forward. But if not, then everybody simply gets their money back.

So for a BOS event, you would essentially be selling advanced tickets. If enough people bought in, then the event would be funded and happen and all the people who bought in would be allowed to attend. (Presumably others could also buy tickets later, probably at a higher price.)

But the key is that this greatly reduces the risk. If not enough people commit, then the event is just cancelled. No harm no foul. Maybe try again another time.

Anyhow, just a wacky thought.

PLEASE don't use this as an opportunity to rehash past disappointments and force Horton to close another thread!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Baller

@behindpropellers I don't think I'm following. What I mean is IF some people wanted to try to make this happen, Kickstarter could be the ideal vehicle to give it a go.

The idea is that if you get enough commitment in advance, then you do it. And if not, move on.

• Baller
@behindpropellers. Ah, certainly true. However, based on several other threads that people have started (sadly most of them now closed), I think there are people who want to organize. I think the problem is the risk is so high, because people say they are interested but who knows if they will really come. The use of Kickstarter could eliminate that part of the problem, by getting actual paid commitments.

this is probably a stupid question but if I live in Indiana and am a member of the IWSA, can I ski in tournaments in other states? could you simply designate a tournament that is already organized as one that lots of BOS members are going to attend?

• Baller

Depending on what you guys want, do we want to revisit having the Ballers Bash? You guys want a tournament lets do it. You wanna have a bake sale to raise money I'm in on that too. Whatever you want is cool. We had it down once and drought killed it. Thoughts? July, Aug of 2013?

Let's schedule something and have some fun. Just need a date so I can get approval.

@horton @shaneh @jdarwin @skidawg. Chime in boys.

Perhaps if it were NOT a tournament, but a "fly in" where you ski and socialize until you go home. The goal is to have a "backyard" experience, not necessarily put up a score. That keeps the logistics down to fuel, boats, and food. That takes a lot of pressure off and the cash required would be for fuel and other consumables (porta-johns, etc.).

• Baller_
FL is a good location in that it can be made into a family vacation if that helps persuade the better halves to go along with this. I know if we make other plans around a tournament location, it makes it a mini vacation every time.

• Administrators

So is this a serious tournament or a goof.

3 levels of skiing (22off and below => 35 off and below =>38 off and above) - 3 rounds and then a handicap final?

Or Tequila Slalom?

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@than_bogan - great idea around use of kickstarter! @horton - I think the answer is both, just consider it 4 levels of skiing...both serious and a goof all at once. I am on board to fund the "labor" on kickstarter and to try to influence sites in bako, as needed.

• Administrators
As I said in the last thread on this subject => I can not and will not organize this. I would be stoked to see it happen as long it is well organized and is not bad for the BallOfSpray brand.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller_
well, it would be a chance to get out of the bitter cold for most of the country if it's held in the colder months. Great months here are November, early Dec, late Feb and March (spring breaks). Can get cooler Jan and front end of Feb (relativity speaking). Countless man made lakes. A lot of pros down here training at that time as well and not really having any pressure so they might just join in for the fun of it.

• Baller

"Baller Nationals"

Ok guys, I'm willing to organize the event. Just need to all be on the same page. I will recruit @usa1 to help.

Labor Day 2013? Austin, TX. Can go with the clown instead of a midget.

Thinking Saturday 2 rd slalom. Can handicap a non sanctioned final however we want. Sunday non sanctioned events as we planned last year, potentially Tequila slalom, slippery slalom and a plank slalom. (We may have to switch to Vodka slalom as last time I had a vodka company sponsoring the event before we had to cancel. We will also enforce a no Powervest rule in the slippery slalom event. They are approved for in normal competition though.)

Let me know and I will go to the HOA for approval.

• Baller
Make it a "team" event consisting of 4 skiers. Similar to a golf tournament, you would have A,B,C and D skiers. A handicapped system is fine unless your average is 3 @ 41 and your skiing against someone with an average of 3 @ 32mph. Creating teams of skiers spreads the risk / reward of high/low buoy counts.

as a novice skier a "team" event sounds fun- I'm thinking that would generate some awesome flow of information between different level of skiers. Make it some place where I can either come in early for a few days of clinic or stick around after the event and get some coaching.