Nano One Ski Test Days 9 and 10

Horton

• Baller

@Horton Isn't that the second time this year your sportube got mangled?

All of the airlines I've flown with recently (mostly our 2 or 3 Canadian carriers), they will cover the damage if the ski was in a hard case. What is United's coverage policy?

• Baller

I saw this before I flew to Nationals on United and was really worried.

Skating equipment

Ski equipment

United accepts one item of ski equipment per customer as checked baggage. Ski equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

Water skis

Snowboard

Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag. (Note: If ski boot bag contains otbher items in addition to or in place of boots, it will be subject to applicable checked baggage service charge or excess baggage service charge.)

If applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies to ski equipment.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the excess baggage charge applicable in the market for a single piece.

Ski or boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23kg) that contain other items in addition to or in place of appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge.

United is not liable for damage to water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski/snow ski/snowboard equipment.

• Baller

I started reading the fine print after Southwest destroyed my PVC Pipe ski case in New Orleans. Nats were in Destin. They refused to pay so I left it there and told them to hold on to it and I would pick it up later. I called every couple days to tell them I was coming to pick it up. It made me feel a little better having them look at it for weeks before they figured out I was not coming to get it.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/sports.aspx

• Baller

Actually that does not look like an accident ! that's been run over on purpose, I work in the operations of an airline on the ramp, these people do exist ! their Moronic value to society is one big fat 0

It does not matter if you pay $199 or $1990, their pay will remain the same, at the end of the day, they are dealing with peoples posessions, I would look after your ski the same as I look after my own, with care ! these people do not deserve a job at all !

• Administrators

My tube was not run over. The damage was done by something with a square corner. There was enough force to crush the tube, crush the ski and bend the fin.

Had to be many hundreds of pounds of pressure.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

K what you are looking at, is baggage checked in, I should imagine you were asked to take it elsewhere, to be on a separate baggage conveyor for oversize luggage, where it would have been manhandled on to a baggage cart, taken to the aircraft and manually loaded into the bulk cargo, which has no container handling system, it is unlikely that the oversize baggage conveyor system done it, or tho a slim possibility, with the tube possibly loaded sideways on the baggage cart, the operator may have come close to a structure, and struck it while travelling approx 10 - 15 mph, either that or the operator tried to go through a gap smaller than the length of your tube, if not run over, I cannot see how else it would have happened.

I would like to say I have seen it all, but alas there is always a new surprise waiting to catch you out.

It's a worry because, I plan to travel more with my ski, I am not sure what the answer is, apart from shipping it ahead. Still risk involved in that.

• Baller

Most of us on here are old enough to remember when airlines actually had good service.

Boy does that seem like ancient history now.

I keep thinking they have run out of ways to make their service even worse, and then I'm surprised.

I don't understand how this can possibly be good business practice. Surely if you make the experience NOT suck you can get more customers AND charge more?

• Baller_

Unfortunately, our society has significantly deteriorated in "servicing the customer", not just the airline industry. Take service in a restaurant, grocery store or any attempt at getting a live human on the phone. We have basically decided that cheap trumps service every time. Until that changes, expect the decline to continue. Same goes for declining wages since we have decided that the value of the service jobs is menial. Go to a restaurant in Mexico or elsewhere and experience cultures that still value service, it is amazingly different.

I would say the service "we" get from the ski industry is quite the step above average. Still get some great service by passionate proprietors.

• Baller

@DW - I couldn't agree more! Ski industry customer service has been GREAT!

@OB and @MS - There is a reason that whenever I fly I thank the pilot's and stewardess's. You all have a tough jobs with lots of demands, especially from some pesky customer's!! (at least I think you two are airline pilots....)

• Baller
@Horton - U People Suck can tear your stuff up as well ( and lose it). Filing a claim with U People Suck is no day at the beach. Especially if they lose it - they'll take 21 days to "attempt to locate" the item before starting the "process" of resolving your claim. Been there, done that.

• Baller
I have a business where we do lots of shipping. Everytime we've had something damaged UPS blames it on us, says we didn't package properly. They have a independent company that handles the claims, I think they must have some incentives to denign claims. I quit getting the insurance cause it took more time fight the claim than was worth to me. We now use USPS most of the time and have been happy with them.

• Baller_
I shipped 7 skies at various times across diff parts of the country and Can via United States Postal in cardboard boxes. They all made their destination unharmed and I believe i had several insured at buyers request. I'm also sure I never spent more than $40. But it was snail mail. 5-7 days depending.

• Baller

@MS, you left the biz? What are you doing now? Like Skoot I try to thank the flight attendants, granted they were not turds, and I thank the pilots on the way out if they are still in the cockpit and complement the landing. Having said that...I hate flying commercial.

@MS again I flew nearly over your joint in the Mooney on the way to Chicago Friday and back again on Sunday. Skied Laurie's Quarry w/a buddy while there visiting.

Packing the sportube and padding the hell out of my ski in two weeks on Delta for trip to skiwatch as is @razorskier1.

• Baller_

@6balls Pack it good and dont worry. I dont think we can make Skiwatch but we will see if I can pull it off last min.

The last few times I have sold some skis I have been using USPS and it was quicker and cheaper then both Fed EX and UPS. I think adding bindings to the weight of the shipment would bring the cost up a bit.

• Baller
I'm not worried...razorskier1 skis nearly the same settings on the same ski. Could swap bindings w/placement and ski his if mine is toast and vice versa. Would be great if you and Mrs. MS could make it. Let me know...I'm shipping ribs and need the head count!