Nano One Ski Test Days 9 and 10

Horton

• Administrators

If you read about day 7 and 8 you know that I returned to warmer and slower water, was frustrated and then after removing my wing was again running a 38s. Let’s be honest here when I say running 38s what I should say is running 38 when I do not screw it up. I am not running it easy but I am running it a lot.

This weekend I went to two, 3 round slalom tournaments on faster water. Since I often ski well without a wing on other skis, I did not put the wing back on the N1 for the weekend.

I had very high expectations Saturday morning. First round 4 at 38. Not great but is my old average. Second round 2 or 3 at 38. Now my confidence is slipping. Third round 4 at 38. Now I am wondering what the hell I have done wrong. I even took a practice set after the tournament. 3 at 38.

Sunday morning I put the wing back on. Not sure why but it is the only thing I can think of. First round 4 @ 38. Not the score I wanted but things felt right again. Second round 2 @ 39. The 38 was not pretty but this matches my all-time best tournament score. Round three only 2.5 at 38 but that was totally fatigue. In reality it was my best gate and one of the weekend.

What does all of this mean? All I can think of is that with my settings and this ski, it is very sensitive to water temp. I tend to agree with the theory that skis do not change gradually with temp, the water gets to a point and everything changes all at once. With the N1 this is sort of radical. Perhaps with slightly different fin and bindings this would be less radical or would happen at a different temp. Time will tell.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
@Horton Nice skiing, just remember most atheletes can only hold peak performance for a period of six weeks, with careful planning and nutritional control you can bring that performance back for approx four weeks after a two week lull, by your posts I can only deduce that you could possibly be over skiing, Long Term Fatigue or Injury can result, look after yourself, we need testing and input from you in particular, I find your views fair and not bias.

• Administrators

@bhs ? No. I had a couple of ok poops before I skied. (really no idea what you are asking)

@Stevie Boy with my lifestyle I have to unfortunately wing it. I understand what you are saying but I really can't play that game.

@Mr. Jones well yea. I will be skiing 36 and or 35 mph for the next two weeks so the wing will be needed.

@jipster43 @scotchipman @Texas6 thanks

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

May as well throw in my experience too.

I have been running a lot of 38s in practice, but not in tournaments. Direct opposite of last year, when I ran a dozen or so in practice and the same in tournaments.

I practiced with my Nano mid last week, then jumped on the N1 on Thursday as we had a tournament this past weekend, 5 rounds. I ran my 38 otd on Thursday, got 3 at 9 and said fine, this will work for the tournament. I was less than 50% on my mid.

Long story short, I never made at 38 this weekend. I got 3 to 3.5 in all the rounds. With that said, I was in all of them but one (first round). My problems were clearly my on side, which used to be money and my off side was sketchy. Now, my off side is where I am making it up and my onside is either a crash, a stood up turn, or just ok. Several people that have seen me ski said the same about my on side, it was not a "snap" like before.

As frustrated as I am right now, I am still going to give it a little more time. I am going to tweak my binding set up a bit to better my on side. We will have to see if it hurts my on side.

In previous posts, I mentioned that the ski felt extremely slow. I do not feel this at all after 5 rounds in a tournament, but I still feel it shuts down going into the bouy much better than my mid. It also turns better, expect my on side at this point.

• Baller

I watched you ski all rounds. My take is that you have to come up on this ski on the onside turn.

It is less critical on offside for some reason. ( Ielieve it has to do with the forward rocker on this ski) That is my take. My experience with the ski is that if I get over the ski on my onside it turns really good, if I don't rise up as I approach the onside apex I will end up with a tail turn. The offside is the best I have ever had and seems to have eliminated the dropping of the inside shoulder that was so common for me and others on the offside to get a ski to finish. Before you start changing settings and binding placement try coming up on the ski as you approach the apex of on side turn, I believe that will solve the problem. My 2 cents after watching you and also my experince of the ski.

John, do you ever ski on other favorite skis to check and/or reset your performance baseline during your peak? For instance, the Prophecy was a ski that you seemed to really like last year. So are you just getting better as a skier or is it only the equipment that is raising your level of performance?

• Administrators

@Boody one of my self imposed rules is that I do not compare skis as part of a review. I know you guys would like it but it complicates the process. I ride the skis and try to describe them.

In this case I have not ridden the A2 enough in a year to answer even it I wanted to.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

My N1 arrived today, I was expecting a bit of a minger when I opened the box , but was pleasantly surprised, my ski looks pretty good, fin was pretty close to factory, so I left it alone, bindings on and off to the lake, would you believe it the worst wind and water conditions we have had all summer, just had to have a nudge, to see how it felt, hard to evaluate the ski, but it did turn nice both sides, cannot wait until I can ski in some decent conditions.

• Baller

Had to look up what a "minger" is (very unattractive person in British slang), but I think once you know what to expect it looks fine. Also the most noticeable "visual flaw" is the bunching at the edges, which becomes almost invisible once a binding is mounted.

It can be off-putting if unexpected, however.

It looks real nice on its way out the exit gate at -38, too.

• Administrators

So I got through day 13 or 14 and then United Airlines separated me from the Nano One. I will have a new one in about a week. For now this review is on hold.

This is the second time I have had to switch skis mid review this year for unforeseen reasons. Strange year.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

Almost forgot to post this...

That last ride I had to the N1 was at Soaked and I for sure out skied my seed. Chances are I will never score higher than Chad and Marcus again it the same day.

Drop a dime in the can

• Administrators

@MS

With one exception, United has proven to be rude and incompetent dealing with. I am hopeful that I have found the one person in the organization that does not need a Cranial-Rectal-Ectomy

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

(Deleted question because I'm a total idiot who failed to look at the entire thread before posting.)

Meanwhile, I think I am getting close to writing up my own "formal review." I think I understand enough of what this ski is about, and have demonstrated how it improved my skiing. I'd kinda like to see an "official" practice PB on it, but since I have no idea what I'm doing at -39, that's gonna be largely a matter of luck.